Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Caimans Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DSchulten88   DSchulten88   Russell55   Aragarnn   Aragarnn  

Member  Message

DSchulten88
View Profile

Just looking for advice from a fellow keeper..

Hi,

My name is Dustin. I just got a Schneider’s DC from a mother who’s son apparently obtained this little guy without permission...

I’ve got experience with herps... I’ve got one of the more ill tempered breeds... a common Nile monitor...

However, I’m coming up short on specific information about Schneider’s DC’s.. Such as ambient enclosure temperatures, water temperatures, basking temperatures, humidity levels..

How sensitive are these creatures? He’s in a 50/50 breeder 80 gallon right now, I am fully aware of his full size, and fully capable of building a proper custom enclosure.. I am simply wanting any tips, tricks, advice, things to know other that the obvious... He seems to be eating just fine.. Even after the stress of a move today.. its about midnight thirty here and he’s taken down some crickets (gut loaded and powdered) and some minnows in the last 20-30 minutes.. I can see he’s clearly a more nocturnal critter than my Nile..

But yeah.. Just looking for some insider info on this little dude so I can do the best for him since he was apparently unwanted where he’s been so far in life..

Always wanted a caiman growing up.. Now I’m "grown up" so I guess there’s no better time than the present.

Thanks in advance!

-Dustin

04/01/12  02:12am

DSchulten88
View Profile

Message To: DSchulten88   In reference to Message Id: 2260931

04/01/12  02:27am

Russell55
View Profile

Message To: DSchulten88   In reference to Message Id: 2260931

Schneider’s Dwarf Caiman want the air temp between 76F-81F, water temps 78F-82F, floor temps 78F, and humidity 60-80%. They can take temps much higher as long as the water is cool, and lower air temps down to 68-70F as long as the water is warmer. I also heat the burrow in my Schneider’s enclosure. Because they are mostly nocturnal and live in the deep forrest they don’t bask like most crocodillians. These guys are pretty sensitive to loud noise and commotion and will hide when they are disturbed. Here is a short video of my 4 1/2 year old male. http://youtu.be/mUmnEIyfwNM

05/04/12  06:09am

Aragarnn
View Profile

Message To: Russell55   In reference to Message Id: 2265263

Russel if you don’t mind pm me sometime. I’ve kept up with your videos and I’d like to speak with you, interested in the future in keeping a caiman, have experience with paranoids. Thanks.

05/11/12  10:03am

Aragarnn
View Profile

Message To: Russell55   In reference to Message Id: 2265263

varanids* lol

05/11/12  10:04am

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area