Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly   Nile/water monitors   Plilly  
 Member  Message

Plilly
View Profile

Caimans not eating like usual

I have owned two caimans for about 3 months. They were doing great. I fed them about every other day with super meal worms (4 or 5 a piece). I fed them small gold fish about every 10 days (12 of them in all) and then I would give them a pinkie every 3 weeks. They have been very voracious eaters until this last week. I have noticed those white worms in their feces twice. The first time they got over it, but this time don’t seem to be recovering. Could the worms be the problem? What do you give 14 to 15 inch caimans for worms? It has been 9 days since they last ate. They refuse the meal worms and I put 12 gold fish in with them last night. They are NOT interested. Please advise from your experiences. Thank you.

09/09/11  11:34am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2236216

The fact that both animals stopped eating is a sure sign that something in the husbandry is off? Its been my experience that live gold fish and live rodents can carry many parasites, Stop feeding gold fish and replace it with F/T(frozen thawed) "whole" frozen smelts/shrimps. Add live roaches and larger insects. Feed F/T rodents and chicks that have been frozen for 30 days, this diet lowers the risk of parasites. Remember low basking area temp.s and low water/ambient temp.s lower the reptiles ability to fight off parasites so make sure your temp.s are spot on. I use a laser temp. gun to get most of my temp. reading. Are you filtering the water? I would most definitely take a fecal sample to the vet and get these guys treated.

Best of luck

09/09/11  03:07pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2236225

Thanks so much. I intend to get ALL the gold fish out tonight. I have been feeding them frozen pinkies. They have enjoyed the gold fish til now, though. But the meal worms were always a hit. Is there any way to "worm" them safely? My local vets don’t treat exotics. I had one, but he went to the Zoo full time now. The first time they had worms, they got over it quickly. They are plenty spunky enough right now. Thank you again for your advice.

09/09/11  04:21pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2236227

Your welcome,
Most people don’t know that the mealies and super worms are low in Cal. and high in Phos.. They need to be Cal. dusted before feeding them off to your reptile. The roaches are a better Cal-Phos. %, also remember to feed off healthy gut-loaded insects to your reptiles, A healthy insect is better than a dehydrated starved one with little to no nutritional/moisture value. Personally, I would keep cleaning the water to limit parasite reinfecting and would keep up the temp.s to help the Caimans cope with the parasites and would seek out a vet or even try calling the zoo where your vet works and see if He will have time to advise or even treat them for you? I really don’t think the parasites will just go away. Do you have a basking light and how are you heating the water? I use to have to "hide" a large tube heater on my spectacled caiman’s enclosure, they would break it when they found it.

09/09/11  05:08pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2236234

I clean the water every 7 to 10 days, according to the need. I do have a good filter. I just put a heater in today. And I do dust my meal worms at least every other feeding. I took the gold fish out. They may have eaten 2 or 3. I know they have had the worms before, but they never stopped eating. The heater is a non-shatter one that will heat up to 7 gallons of water that says it will keep the water temp at 76, That is all the water I have in there. I have a basking light, uvb flourescent and a red basking light for the night. We did have a cool snap, but they are in a building. I am not a novice with critters, but very OCD when it comes to issues. They seem to have lots of spunk. They don’t like me "messing" with them too much. And I don’t want to stress them on top of maybe not feeling well. I have decided to pursue my old vet on Monday. If you or anyone else has any more advice, I will gladly take it. I don’t like anything to suffer. Thank you again.

09/09/11  08:57pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2236265

Please keep me posted on the progress. Which Caiman family do you keep? I use to keep three Spectacled caimans years ago, Would love to get and keep another Spectacled but seams they are near impossible to find anymore.

09/09/11  09:50pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2236270

I will. They are Cuvier’s dwarf caimans. They are beautiful. Thank you again. Will update later.

09/09/11  10:18pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2236274

Update: I took my two caimans to the vet. Wormed them 3 days and gave them two antibiotic shots. Not 100 o/o,
but better. They ate fish. Definite improvement.

09/20/11  12:01am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2237622

Great! Thanks for the update. Stick to the diet we talked about and as long as all the temp.s are right on, they should be 100% in no time.

Best of luck!

09/20/11  08:00am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2237632

Just wanted to add one more thing, you may already be doing this??? Get yourself a pair of feeding tongs to use when feeding the F/T dead foods, I remember that my caiman’s would only eat foods that moved. Kinda enjoyed feeding them that way.

09/20/11  08:10am

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2237634

Oh yes, I definitely use tongs! Thanks for the advice. Hoping for better results soon.

09/20/11  11:35pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2237734

I am sorry to report that my largest of the two just passed! Makes no sense. He is the one that has been eating better again. I put them in the sun outside as vet suggested. I did this Saturday for over 2 hours. They loved it. Today they were only out for about 45 minutes, they were making their sounds....in less than 15 min...the big one just killed over! I rushed him back to the water with no success. I am sick!! I cleaned the tank good and put the other one, Chomper, back in. I don’t understand. I get so attached to my critters.

09/22/11  04:32pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2237886

Really sorry,
Reptiles can be sick for along time before they even start showing symptoms of even being sick. By the time they start show they are sick, they have been battling the illness for some time and its warring them down. Your big guy was probably sick longer than the little guy? Your vet mentioned getting them out in the sun, did your vet say anything about MBD or rickets? Personally, I would stick to the 30 day frozen F/T foods( rodent,smelts,chicks,etc.), feed live healthy gut loaded insect, keep the temp.s spot on and don’t handle or stress this guy in any way. I would suggest that 85% of Chompers diet be roaches, super worms, large insects fallowed by 10% F/T smelts and then once twice a month a F/t fuzzy or chick. Chomper is a small guy and in the wild would be bug hunting most of his diet. Again, really sorry for your loss .

09/23/11  08:38am

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2237942

What is MBD or rickets? Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to try to keep him stress free for a while. I will stick with meal worms and crickets for a while and fish when he refuses to eat. I know reptiles aren’t very sociable, but it seems so sad without two. Thanks again.

09/23/11  11:40pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2238004

MBD is Metabolic Bone Disease and depending on how old your vet is rickets is pretty much the same thing as MBD but in mammals, I’v heard vets use both terms to address the same condition in reptiles. Both conditions are caused from low Cal./D3 in the diet and the body needs Cal./D3 to function properly, when the body doesn’t get enough "Calcium" in the diet it turns to the bones and starts to deplete Cal. from the bone to keep organs working and the bones become brittle. "Natural sun light" produces D3 in the reptile and the D3 helps the body absorb Cal. from whole prey food diet. That’s what made me wonder if it was a MBD issue as well? Check your local super markets for the frozen smelts, they look like large Minos, They have bone scales organs. He could also have f/t snails, crawdads,shrimp too. Just remembers to stay away from meat cuts and just feed "whole prey" (100% whole prey means everything, hide,hair,bone,brain,scales,shell,exoskeleton, etc.) food items to keep your captive healthy/happy. Your little guy will most likely do better with out a room mate, he won’t have to compete for food, basking areas etc. its all his and it will benefit him much more. Are you able to post a pic. ? love to see him.

09/24/11  07:02pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2238074

So, do you think it is safe enough to let him sun bathe from time to time? Just really freaked out after that one literally killed over while sunbathing. When they are eating meal worms well, I wet the live meal worm and put him in the calcium supplement and offer it to him with the tongs. He ate a pinkie tonight! I was so happy. I will look for those frozen smelts, never heard of them before. If you go to the "reptiles to go" website, you will see a pic of my baby. That is him on the website under Cuvier’s Dwarf caimans. Not good at downloading pics myself. I will keep updating my posts as Chomper improves. Thank you again.

09/24/11  10:03pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2238089

Direct sunlight is great for your caiman. Sunlight through "closed glass windows" is only heat at best and filters out the valuable UVA/UVB the reptiles need. As long as you feed "100% whole prey foods" he will get most of the vit.s/minerals with the proper diet. Natural unfiltered sunlight is a big "+" for reptiles, so if you can get him out in the sun with out too much stress on him, do it. Has his appetite improved?

09/27/11  05:34pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2238388

Yes, a little. He ate a pinkie for me on Sat. He still doesn’t eat as vigorously as he did. He used to love meal worms. Will not touch them now. I am a little reluctant putting him outside after the other one died. Still working hard though!

09/28/11  07:36am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2238433

Like I said, it takes reptiles along time to get run down enough from an illness to show that they are suffering, but, it takes along time for them to "completely" over come it too. His best fighting chance is the 100% whole prey and the proper temp.s and no stress. Have you seen any signs of worm scene he was treated? Keep up the hard work and thanks for keeping me updated.

Chris.....

09/28/11  09:00pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2238521

I have seen no sign of worms. I know he is eating goldfish. I really don’t want him eating that mostly, but he still isn’t interested in mealworms. He has become more skiddish since he got sick. Used to wait on me like a hungry dog at night. Now he pretty much stays under the brush or under his rock. Trying to keep him stress free. Haven’t found those smelts yet. Going to keep trying.

09/29/11  07:47am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2238557

I would really be afraid of recontaminating with the gold fish. Have you ask the pet store about large roaches? If you put the roach in the enclosure on land or log what ever you have in there, I’m pretty sure the movement of the roach would spark a feeding response from Chomper. The adult roaches can’t climb glass walls so don’t be afraid of them getting out. The nice thing about the roaches is they don’t stink like the crix and they are a better food choice for the reptile. A much meatier food item. Pretty easy to raise as feeders.

09/29/11  06:49pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2238652

Eww! I hate roaches! Don’t think I can do those. Please give me another suggestion. He ate another pinkie Sunday night. No sign of worms! Thank you.

10/04/11  11:44pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Plilly   In reference to Message Id: 2239262

Quote:

Eww! I hate roaches! Don’t think I can do those.

LOL! I use to say the same thing, I got the nerve to go to the pet shop and get some hissers, even had to pull them from the tank myself:( but after a short while I found they really are not so bad. I raise the hissing roaches and the Dubia roaches as well as the super worms as feeders. Had to stop raising the crickets, they stink and always escaped. I also buy bulk frozen rodents and day old frozen chicks online also buy the smelts, crawdads (crayfish),snails when available at the grocery store. Have you asked at the pet store to see what other feeder insects they offer? The bigger the better.

10/05/11  09:36pm

Plilly
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2239359

Just updating...so far, so good! Chomper is eating a mouse about every 7 to 10 days. He isn’t as aggressive and is still more timid than he was. But always glad to see him eat. He has grown one inch!

10/29/11  11:51pm

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area