Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

87rx7chick   Nile/water monitors  
 Member  Message

87rx7chick
View Profile

I love my caimen lizard

he is a bit of an dummy but he is over all great.

he does head butt, hiss, and tail whip a lot but i got to the point where he wont try to bite me if i open his enclosure to pick him up.

he eats lean ground turkey mixed with multi-vitimin , science diet cat food (turkey) canned snails.

he is currently housed in a 100 gallon tank with 1/3 water 2/3 land with several small 50w bulbs to bring up ambient temp to 85-90 with a super hot basking zone of 125 (using infa red temp gun)

must have deep water that is filtered, they love love love and MUST have water.

08/03/11  12:12pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2231583

I love my caimen lizard

Congrats! They are very cool looking reptiles! Prehistoric looking. One of the members over on the monitor forum has one or two of these little monsters. One thing I would suggest is to stop the

Quote:

lean ground turkey mixed with multi-vitimin , science diet cat food (turkey) canned snails.

and replace it with live gutloaded roaches, super worm, raw whole smelts and whole raw shrimp and rodent/chicks that have been frozen for 30 days. Lean ground meats are only meat, no bone,hide,organs for all the vits & min.s that they need to stay healthy. 100% whole prey food items will help keep him lean and healthy, processed foods will cause him to become obese and end up with healthy issues. If I’m correct these guys can get 3-4 ft. long. Again, he/she is very cool looking!

09/06/11  08:04pm

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area