Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

Jossie   Jossie   Nile/water monitors  
 Member  Message

Jossie
View Profile

New caiman owner

I been reading alot & learning about the dwarf caiman before purchasing one. I am fine with size they will reach, very much understand they are wild & can’t be tame. ..so on , what i can not find on my own is, as for an enclosure does it have to be in doors? I would prefer to make a safe insulated, enclosure with a pond pleanty of run space, hide out area, and ofcourse all the lighting and heating. My question is if i proporly do this & as long as in winter the inside of the enclosure is roofed off and held at the right temperature. everything should be fine? right?
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question , but it would be selfish of me to just assume the reptiles well being is fine rather than know!
Please give me any info or oppinions. reason i would really like to build a outdoor enclosure is i have kids and god forbid if the enclosure was indoors and something happened.. need to say more. But if outdoors works than that’s great i will also for the reptiles safety as well as others be sure it can not escape nor can anybody easily get in .
Thanks guys.

05/04/11  07:05pm

Jossie
View Profile

Message To: Jossie   In reference to Message Id: 2217359

New caiman owner

i really appeciate any help. I dont want to buy the caiman until i have finished or atleaast have a start on the out door enclosure for i know they grow pretty quick & it wouldnt be humane to have one in a tank thats more so a prison as it grows, so the more advise and ect from all you is appreciated alot!!

05/04/11  07:12pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Jossie   In reference to Message Id: 2217359

New caiman owner

Hi,
I live in P.A too, (Northwestern p.a) and I’m designing a indoor/outdoor enclosure building for my monitors, First thing to remember is its too cold 8 months out of the year to have reptiles out doors. Second, if you build your enclosure on the ground even if its insulated, during the winter the cold ground will leach out the water/substrate temp.s. Even if you get spot on temp. readings Ambient/basking/cool end, the floor will be freezing. So you will have to build off the ground and skirt around the bottom of the enclosure. 6-8 in. of insulation all the way around the enclosure,walls floor roof. Two heat sources, one electric ( Small mobile home furnace with a thermostat) and one alternative heat source if your power gos out, maybe a camper heater. A wooden 12’x14’ utility shed would be a good start for a good out door enclosure. Remember if you get a baby caiman you have about two years to build this enclosure, I’d keep this little one indoors in a large tank for this first two years and if your worried about the kids around this guy, couldn’t you lock him a spare room until he is large enough to move into the out door enclosure? Also, if you want to prevent escape or someone getting into the out door enclosure, you could fence around the enclosure, like a safety fence around a swimming pool. Also remember, during the summer months it could over heat in the enclosure, so, you will and to vent it to prevent over heating too. Remember to stay away from gold fish feeders and bait shop fish, lots of parasites. I would suggest large insects like roaches, pinkies, store bought smelts(frozen fish)shrimp, etc., store bought food items fit for human consumption. A temp. gun and a good set of feeding tongs will be "very" useful. here is a sight with some good reading. http://crocodilian.com/crocfaq/faq-6.html Feel free to ask questions or PM me with questions.

05/05/11  10:28am

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area