Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

Podell80   Nile/water monitors  
 Member  Message

Podell80
View Profile

Need help with my dwarf caiman.

hello every one. i recently purchased a dwarf caiman. she is about 11 inches long and a real beauty. i had her in a 10 gallon tank for the first 2 weeks as she got used to being away from her siblings and got comfortable. during this time she was eating a little. i do mean a little ! total so far i would say 1 and a half pinkies and a piece of raw chicken approximately the size of 2 fingers. this has been over the course of about 3 weeks. i have since moved her to a 75 gallon tank with 2/3 water at 79 degrees and 1 /3 land. with a basking area at 93 degrees. after the move she refuses to eat. i have live fish in the tank. not interested. i leave crickets out and about. not interested. i leave chicken and pinkies cut up and on the land, not interested. also, she never i repeat NEVER leaves the water! I’m not sure why. any help from someone that has raised one or has knowledge would be awsome. thank you !

04/21/11  02:46pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Podell80   In reference to Message Id: 2215398

Need help with my dwarf caiman.

Your water to land sounds ok as do your temp.s, Babies will stay where they feel safest, is she in a high traffic area and how much is she handled? Instead of crixs offer her roaches, they are slower and may get her attention better due to the size of the roach, they may get her to leave the water to hunt on the roaches. Try tong feeding her. Stay away from gold fish and bait store fish, they tend to carry lots of parasites. If you tong feed her, try the smelts in the frozen department of your grocery store. Just allowing her to adjust to the new enclosure is most likely the key to getting her appetite back. I’ve noted that my animals become defensive and on guard when introduced to new upgraded enclosures, and some times the appetite is diminished some what for a while.

04/21/11  04:59pm

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area