Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

Legendta2   C.   Legendta2   Legendta2   JusFTW   Legendta2  
 Member  Message

Legendta2
View Profile

Water problems pls answer asap

I have a specticle caiman , ive had it for 15 months now. She is 1.9 feet ,i have her in a 120lt tank, 3/4 water, 1/4 land. I have a large water filter and heating. I clean her tank very often. The last time i cleaned her tank a few days later a white crust was formed on top of the water. Can someone tell me why that happened and what i can do to fix it so it doesnt happen again because it disturbes her and it upsets me when shes not happy. Thanks.

01/28/10  06:20am

C.
View Profile

Message To: Legendta2   In reference to Message Id: 2118029

Is it a crust or is it more a film. I have noticed that my tank gets a thin film and found that when I get more movement at the surface it lessens or completely goes away. If this helps let me know if not let me know maybe we can come up with something else.

01/30/10  07:11pm

Legendta2
View Profile

Message To: C.   In reference to Message Id: 2118825

thanks ,ill try it and ill let you know.

02/03/10  08:18am

Legendta2
View Profile

Message To: C.   In reference to Message Id: 2118825

Its a thin film. Ive noticed that it doesn’t go away with movement and i have ended up cleaning her tank when it forms. If someone knows what else i can do so the water doesnt get this thin film or a reason why it forms please. Thanks

02/15/10  01:42pm

JusFTW
View Profile

Message To: Legendta2   In reference to Message Id: 2123607

You gotta break the water surface, ur not gettin no circulation of the surface water so ur filters unable to clean it. get a aquarium hose n pump, pop a few holes along the side. put it along the top edge of the tank under the lip, make sure it doesnt flow down the glass, that it pours into the water like sprinkler. might wanna run a hose from ur cureent filter to the other side of the tank to get a nice ummm... cant think of the word 7am n im stoned but that will fix ur problem. cheap, easy but a good fix. good luck.

Jus

02/18/10  06:53am

Legendta2
View Profile

Message To: JusFTW   In reference to Message Id: 2124425

Thanks Jus for answering. I have a hose with holes in it but i have the water running down on rocks making something like a waterfall, so ill change it or make another one to sprinkle the water. Someone told me that the film is formed because the tank is too small for my little croc. Is that possible?

03/03/10  12:58pm

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area