Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

Toki99   Reedie   Toki99   Reedie   Crocodylus   Slimdavey   Crocodylus   Slimdavey   Crocodylus   Sitting_duck   Charlie prince   Russell55   Russell55   Reptileguy123  
 Member  Message

Toki99
View Profile

Enclosures

hey everyone i am new to this part of the forum i used to be on the monitor part allot but i have recently decided not to get a monitor. i was wondering if you could all post pics of your caiman, cages, tanks, or ponds.
i have been looking into spectacled caimans for a while now and have been highly considering getting one around Christmas time. i will start him off in a 60 gallon rubbermaid type enclosure for roughly the first year, then switch him into a 6x3x3 and so on until he gets his 8x16 plus foot cage.
thanks for the pics and input
kirk

11/10/07  12:33pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Toki99   In reference to Message Id: 1508437

Enclosures

Arent you the guy who was dead set on getting a croc monitor? If you thought the people on .nl where tough on you getting a croc monitor, you havent seen anything yet. I think it would be wiser of you to go with a water or croc monitor than a caiman.

-Reed

11/10/07  10:02pm

Toki99
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1509003

Enclosures

Im sorry to seem rude reed
but on what terms can you tell me what to do or what i can or cant have i dont no how out of date your profile is but it seems all you have is a Savannah monitor and a red ear slider which would put you around the same experience level as me. i also have 6 months of volunteer work at a reptile store that actually gives a damn about what we Carry and whom we sell to.
now i may not have allot of experience with crocodillians but i have a little bit and dont need you telling me what i cant have
now saying this i didnt ask to be talked down to i simply asked to see habitats of caimans
thanks
kirk

11/11/07  11:50am

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Toki99   In reference to Message Id: 1509577

Enclosures

Hey, nothing against you man, but these are dangerous animals. Why did you decide not to get a monitor? They are great animals, and much safer and fun to be around.

Quote:

i dont no how out of date your profile is but it seems all you have is a Savannah monitor and a red ear slider which would put you around the same experience level as me.

Ive been keeping reptiles for 10 years. Ive maintained beardies, leos, various lizards of the sceloporus genus, ratsnakes, corn snakes, bps, various turtles, salamanders and newts, TONS of native (Texas) herps, the list goes on and on and on. And long ago I helped take care of some amer. alligators. I have also been on thousands of herping trips, and have several journals full of observations (including alligator info) which I would be happy to share (just PM me.).

-Reed

11/11/07  09:37pm

Crocodylus
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1510389

Enclosures

I would Have to agree the monitor would def be your best choice regardless of what the ppl in that forum say
if you have to choose between a Caiman and a Monitor I would say go with the monitor every time. A caiman requires years of research and preparation if you are actually a responsible person and are going to keep the animal for the duration of its life. This is beside the fact as reedie said they are much more dangerous than monitors.

11/11/07  10:29pm

Slimdavey
View Profile

Message To: Crocodylus   In reference to Message Id: 1510487

Enclosures

Hey this is my first time on a forum. I have a 15 inch Dwarf Caiman, I have him currently in a 90 gallon tank for now, I?m building him a better enclosure, its going to be indoors since I live in Canada. I would appreciate any pics people have of there?s and some good info on building a suitable enclosure . I would prefere to fiberglass a background , and possibly most of the land area for a natural environment as possible . My caiman is currently living with a snapping turtle , a baby i raised from a small stream half frozen , neither has shown any signs of aggression towards each other , they bask together and are found with in inch?s of each other most of the time. My caiman Genghis, is healthily and is definitely the boss of his domain . I have a lot of respect for my animals , I do understand that he is and always will be a alligator . I would appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give me on any subject for my caiman . I have read most post?s on the caiman site and I?m a little shocked that some people on here want to seem to attack people than rather hep them.

I don?t have ten years exp, this is my first Dwarf Caiman , I?m learning and researching as much as i possibly can So if you have only negative thoughts or opinions please keep them to your selves , everything else is greatly greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and take care

Dave[Image]

11/18/07  02:47am

Crocodylus
View Profile

Message To: Slimdavey   In reference to Message Id: 1517973

Enclosures

You probably wont have any problems now, but it would be a good idea to separate the Snapping Turtle and Caiman in the near future. Many people have tried to house these together and it almost always ends up with the Caiman losing some toes, the tip of his tail, or even an entire limb.

11/18/07  03:54pm

Slimdavey
View Profile

Message To: Crocodylus   In reference to Message Id: 1518632

Enclosures

Hey thanks , Im constantly checking and making sure there both OK at the first sign of aggression towards one another , they will separated hopefully before Im too late, they seem to actually like each other but they both are natural predators so i will have to see how things pan out between them , just this morning after I feed Genghis, a mouse he did most of his killing on land and drag him under water and left him there in front of Shelly the snapper , she ate most of him , Genghis went to catch two fish , does he actually prefer fish too mice ? or just wanting to eat him later after he rots a bit ?

I tried putting pics up , but Im having problems for some reason.

Thanks for the advice !!

Dave

11/19/07  12:25am

Crocodylus
View Profile

Message To: Slimdavey   In reference to Message Id: 1519390

Enclosures

It maybe be a combination of both. I know my American Alligator will eat just about anything I offer him but he def. has his favorites. Mine will also when i feed him mice he will drag it into the water and hold it in his mouth for quite some time before he eats it.
yeah just continue to offer him a variety which it sounds like you are, you know like a kid dont just let em eat what they want they need to have some variety for good health.
yeah the snapper most likely just ate it before the Caiman was interested enough. no biggy as long as hes not eating solely fish.

11/19/07  11:06pm

Sitting_duck
View Profile

Message To: Crocodylus   In reference to Message Id: 1520510

Enclosures

Wow, you fellas aren’t to bright huh?

He said post pics of your set ups! Not tell him what to get. It’s his choice, it’s obvious your opinions won’t change his mind, so why not help him so if he gets one he can do the best he can do provide a good home for it.

10/11/08  02:38pm

Charlie prince
View Profile

Message To: Sitting_duck   In reference to Message Id: 1878876

Enclosures

i am going to make 1097 gallon tank for dwarf Cayman a it is 4.5ft wide by 3ft tall and 10ft long how long could that last me

08/11/09  04:09pm

Russell55
View Profile

Message To: Charlie prince   In reference to Message Id: 2054970

Enclosures

Three feet is way too narrow for any long term housing. Most sorces advise at least twice the length of your Caiman as a guide to the width of the enclosure. My Schniders Caiman has allready outgrown his 3 1/2’ pond. I’m in the process of enlarging his pond area, but his entire encloser is 8’ by 8’. He is about 23"-24" long now. Here’s a photo of his "digs" taken this spring.

08/19/09  06:36pm

Russell55
View Profile

Message To: Russell55   In reference to Message Id: 2060490

Enclosures

Sorry, I misread your description. 4 1/2’ should be good for a couple of years at least. Good luck!

08/20/09  10:45am

Reptileguy123
View Profile

Message To: Russell55   In reference to Message Id: 2060825

Enclosures

It’s not cool guys to go back a person’s recent posts and use them against that person. It happens so much it really is becoming annoying to ask about any other animal then a leopard gecko or a Bearded dragon. I can see why you may want to warn the person but most likely people won’t want to be told they can’t get something. Esspecially, in this buisness.

09/01/09  03:18pm

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area