Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

Jrob   Crocodylus   Reedie   Savannah monitor 4   Reedie   Reedie   Reedie   CaimanLOL   BUTTER_NUT   Reedie   BUTTER_NUT   BUTTER_NUT   RePtIcMoNiTeR  
 Member  Message

Jrob
View Profile

Which species is most suitable for a display?

Hello,
I work at a science center in Minnesota. Currently, we display various snakes, lizards, and inverts. We have been discussing the possibility of adding a caiman display and i was curious as to all your opinions on which species of caiman would be the most suitable. If this project gets the go ahead, we would start with a 6X8 enclosure (unless a larger one is needed right away) and expand as needed. Right now, the maximum amount of space we would have is 17X25 (although there is a planned remodeling in 5 years and more space could be provided then).

08/01/07  08:55pm

Crocodylus
View Profile

Message To: Jrob   In reference to Message Id: 1384380

I would say that one of the two Dwarf Caiman Species would be the best. Theyíll max out at 3-4 feet so you would probably have enough room for a pair. They are also generally more terrestrial than other species which (in my opinion) makes for better viewing.

08/22/07  12:50pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Crocodylus   In reference to Message Id: 1414479

Paleosuchus palpebrosus would be your best bet probably. They are perhaps the smallest crocodilian and as Crocodylus has pointed out they are more terrestrial and are fun to watch. You would also have the right amount of space for a pair as they max out at 5ft. but many are smaller.

-Reed

08/25/07  06:56pm

Savannah monitor 4
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1419061

How would you know Reed?! Your 13 and have a sav and a ball python? You know nothing about caimens or any other crocodillian.

09/04/07  08:45pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Savannah monitor 4   In reference to Message Id: 1431986

I have been studying crocodilians for several years. MY dad and I would work with wild alligators and we rehabilitated a few in lousiana. I know a great deal in crocodilians. Iíve been working with reptiles for about 10 years now. I have way more than just a sav and ball but I donít want to go into detail. I also work with local venomous snakes here in Texas. Donít assume things young one. LOL

-Reed

09/04/07  10:04pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1432103

Again, to the OP, Paleosuchus palpebrosus would be my choice as a display animal for that amount of space.

-Reed

09/05/07  07:41pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1432987

BTW, savannah monitor 4, you have a PM.

-Reed

09/05/07  08:00pm

CaimanLOL
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1433030

ive always liked the smooth front caimans. there so cute when there little then they grow into big beautiful animals. there coloring is more attractive in captivity because they dont have all the algae n poopie head all over them..look them up on kingsnake.com

09/10/07  11:47am

BUTTER_NUT
View Profile

Message To: CaimanLOL   In reference to Message Id: 1438412

OMG...savannah monitor 4...how the hell can u say a thing about reedie...he knows a hell of alot about reptiles including caimens and crocs... he has helped loads of people!!! on the monitor forum and caimen n croc forum and all ive ever seen u do is say that a croc was fake?!?! just coz we are young we still know about reptiles... and yes there alot of people on these forums that are older than us and know more than us but reedie knows more about reptiles than what u know about a dog or cat
dont say that reed knows is only a 13 year old and knows jack coz hes knows WAAAY more than u know!!! END OF.

jamie

10/05/07  12:26pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: BUTTER_NUT   In reference to Message Id: 1468292

haha, Thanks for backing me up Jamie, but I have already PMed sav_4 about my wild and crazy lousiana gator adventures. Your right though, I know more about crocs then most adults would even care to know, and just because Iím a kid doesnít mean I havenít sat for HOURS at a time studying gators and other reptiles in their native enviornment doing the stiff that comes natural to them, I also have journals were I recorded what I saw...

-Reed

10/05/07  04:43pm

BUTTER_NUT
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1468548

its cool lol its just that some adults (NOT ALL OF THEM) but some seem to think that us kids no nothin coz we r still in school!!! and ive seen u help so many people on loads of forums... and then i c this guy avin a pop at u for helping some1 and saying u cnt help dem coz ur to young...what sort of SH%T is that!!! anyways...hows ur monitors and other reptiles doin???

jamie

10/05/07  06:56pm

BUTTER_NUT
View Profile

Message To: BUTTER_NUT   In reference to Message Id: 1468722

oh and jrob like reed said just go for the Paleosuchus palpebrosus, they would definatley be ur best choice!!!!

10/05/07  07:04pm

RePtIcMoNiTeR
View Profile

Message To: BUTTER_NUT   In reference to Message Id: 1468734

lolll i love how on every post on repticzone somebody gets in a fight with somebody else over something so stupid :) awesome way to help people!

11/08/09  07:45pm

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area