Cages and Enclosures Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Nickey1848   The Lone Glider   The Lone Glider   Racerx1909  

Member  Message

Nickey1848
View Profile

New Cage and a few questions!

My dad said he would build me a large inclosure for my Water Dragons, so I started to draw up some plans. I have a 55-60 gallon fish tank that I thought I would include in the design. I was just wondering what type of wood is best to use or does it matter? And what kind and how many lights would be best to use. The lighting and heating is whats throwing me off the most. I will post a couple pictures of the drawings I made, I just hope my dad can figure it out.. HAHA. I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment so I am making it as big as I can. Its gonna be 5 feet wide by 2 feet deep and at least 5 if not 6 feet high. I am putting the fish tank in the space in the bottom and I plan on making sliding glass doors for the upper part. I am hoping my idea works cause If not then idk what ill do.

Rough drawing of the cage.

Shelf designs maybe.

Any suggestions are welcome..

10/18/12  11:17pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Nickey1848   In reference to Message Id: 2283198

That looks really good. Make sure to post pictures when its done, and remember, they will want a lot of branches, a basking spot, and plants live if you can. As for wood, Just make sure it isn’t treated with anything.. Other then that I use pine. but thats just me. you will need a basking stop with temps of 90-100 for make sure you can do that and you will be fine. and you will need UV so make sure you leave a spot for that.it sounds like a Great Idea!! I really hope you can get it done!!

10/25/12  11:53pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Nickey1848   In reference to Message Id: 2283198

Maple is good too..

10/25/12  11:54pm

Racerx1909
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2283840

I’ve read that pine secretes an oil that is toxic...actually read on the uromastyx forum but have no reason to assume that would by species-specific.
Oak is supposedly safe
Home Depot has 3/4" Oak Ply with a soy-based glue - most plywood has formaldehyde-based glue which is also toxic)...
good luck !

11/17/12  07:50am

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area