Cages and Enclosures Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Adam L   Adam L   Adam L   Adam L   T-platinum   Adam L  

Member  Message

Adam L
View Profile

Savannah Monitor Cage

Alright, I went out and got all the wood + the FRP which I thought was more rigid then it is. Not a bad thing, Just thought it was more like a solid sheet but it bends like linoleum. Feels like it could take a beating with ease. The only things I don’t have are the window(s) and the lights.

I’m not exactly sure how I’m going to do the lights on the inside because of the humidity. I had seen Aragarnn’s cage lighting seemed to just be the dome fixtures that you buy from a pet store minus the dome and then hung from the ceiling of the enclosure which seems like the easiest option but I’m not sure how safe it is (I’m sure the way he did it is safe but I don’t know if there’s something I’m missing). Anybody know what the best option is here? I know you can buy the ceramic fixtures that you screw in to a piece of wood on the ceiling but I think that doing that would have more room for the humidity to get inside the electrical wiring.

With the windows it’s really just down to what I can find. Its going to have to be something that fits inside of the 2x4 framing on the top half which is 2 feet.

Hopefully I can get the majority of the bottom half done tomorrow.

By the way I decided that I will be making it 8 Ft. Long 4 Ft. Wide and 4 Ft. Tall made in 2 equal sized parts so if I ever move I can hopefully take it apart and be able to bring it with me. The bottom half will be the only part lined with FRP and the top will just be covered in Spar Urethane to waterproof it. Probably will paint the outside then cover it in the Spar Urethane also. When you put the FRP on do you only use the liquid nails to attach it or do you also use some screws? I had seen one person’s enclosure that seemed to have some screws in the top of the FRP panels.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated,
Adam

05/26/12  07:42pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2267773

Savannah Monitor Cage

I’ve had the enclosure mostly built for about 2 weeks but I haven’t been able to finish putting together the top half and attaching the two parts because I have not been able to find / decide on a window for the front. The options are either a sliding door like they use on big python cages or 2 swinging doors. I think the 2 swinging doors would be cheaper but I’m also thinking that they would be a pain to use in comparison to the sliding ones.

Does anybody know what thickness would be good enough for the front window if I had to get a piece cut to fit it?

Hopefully I can get a window soon and get this thing finished.

06/11/12  03:13am

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2269544

Savannah Monitor Cage

Well, It’s taken quite a while to get any more done and I’m still far from finished but here are some pictures of the progress so far. I just have to seal up all the edges with silicone and put the top on which is only off to get more light while I’m sealing the edges. After that I just need to add the substrate and decorate. I suppose there’s also the issue of adding in his basking lights and a normal light at the other end but that shouldn’t be too hard to do.

I hadn’t done it yet in the pictures but I just put in the track for the sliding glass. I still have to go pick up the glass but I know what size pieces I need.

And here is a picture of the Sav that will be going in to it once it’s complete. He’s gotten much more meat on him since I got him and has grown quite a bit even though he is still just a baby.

07/03/12  08:47pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2272109

Savannah Monitor Cage

Finally got the glass in. I will try to do the lights / heating tomorrow. I expected to finish this thing at least a month ago but I’m just happy that it’s almost done. Will take new pictures tomorrow hopefully.

07/12/12  10:30pm

T-platinum
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2273105

Savannah Monitor Cage

This is bomb! Thanks for such a great photo posting so far!

10/21/12  06:09pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: T-platinum   In reference to Message Id: 2283463

Savannah Monitor Cage

This was months ago. It’s since been completed and I actually just posted an update on the enclosure and monitor here. Link

10/21/12  08:13pm

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area