Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Cages and Enclosures Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

RedIsis   Chameleon_man   RedIsis   Chameleon_man   Varanus1   RedIsis   Cphill58   Varanus1   Cphill58   Mschip   Cphill58  

Member  Message

RedIsis
View Profile

I have a heating question.

I have heard that UTHs should only be placed on glass, but I’ve also heard they can be placed on wood. Can anyone, with certainty, let me know if it’s safe to place it on 1/2 inch thick plywood.

01/30/12  04:17pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: RedIsis   In reference to Message Id: 2253370

if you mean putting the sticky part on the plywood i am not sure how good the heat will go throught it but i do know that if the tank is on a dresser or wood then your fine. but i am sure you will be fine.

02/01/12  03:32pm

RedIsis
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2253600

I have a 150 watt infared heat lamp which will give off plenty of heat, but I’m building a custom cage out of plywood that’s three feet tall and wanted to use the UTH to heat the bottom for when my RTB burrows. I also know that wood is a good heat conductor. I’m just worried if it would be a fire hazard. I don’t think it will be, but I just wanted to make sure and to know if anyone has used one on wood. Thanks for the reply chameleon man.

02/01/12  08:42pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: RedIsis   In reference to Message Id: 2253632

no prob i try and get to all the question i can :-) i dont think you will have a fire problem with a heat pad. if there is any possable way to cut a small square out and replace it with plexi glass there? i have done something like that before.

02/01/12  10:16pm

Varanus1
View Profile

Message To: RedIsis   In reference to Message Id: 2253370

You can use it on anything BUT dont sandwich it between something they need air around them or you risk the chance of burning it up

02/05/12  08:14pm

RedIsis
View Profile

Message To: Varanus1   In reference to Message Id: 2254064

Yes, of course. I just needed to know if it would be alright on wood. Thanks varanus.

02/06/12  01:47am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: RedIsis   In reference to Message Id: 2254123

I use UTH on all my 3/4" wood enclosures...

So the heat wont escape downwards I sandwich them in between 1/4" Styrofoam that I get out of the trash at furniture stores or art /framing stores. The Styrofoam sandwich forces the heat upwards or inwards. Much the same principle as insulation.

I do use a dimmer or rheostat on all my heating devices though and control temps that way...I measure all temps with a heat gun for accuracy. I have way to many enclosures to try and outfit with individual temp gauges.

02/07/12  04:15pm

Varanus1
View Profile

Message To: RedIsis   In reference to Message Id: 2254123

Yes it would but i would be affraid of it running way to hot to be able to get the heat through the wood. Heat tape should not go over 110 surface temp of the heating grid.So be very careful it could be very bad if mis used.

02/16/12  02:38pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Varanus1   In reference to Message Id: 2255552

If you set your heat pad ...or heat tape for that matter at the specified temps you desire it will take a matter of hours for that area of wood to reach the temp...for example if I set the heat pad at 90F beneath the wood I can expect the hot spot to be 82-85 F on the inside. With the 1/2" wood it might be slightly warmer.

With the addition of the rheostat the heat will never run full strength. I have a video on you tube of how to make your own dimmer/ rheostat. Just ask for the link

02/16/12  10:30pm

Mschip
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2255645

does the exo terra uth need a rheostat to make it go hotter? Mine is just plugged in but its not even warm to the touch, Ive had them on 4 different tanks and they dont seem to put out much heat at all

02/20/12  06:44pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mschip   In reference to Message Id: 2256193

I had been given a heat pad for Christmas one time...I laid it on the table and plugged it in...an hour or so later I measured the temps with an infrared temp gun and was disappointed to find the heat pad very low in temps. I then decided to co veer the UTH with something akin to an enclosure and lo and behold the heat soared. The heat will not generate as well unless something is on top of it.

A rheostat will allow you to turn temps down...but not up any higher.

For example, if my 8 watt Zoo Med UTH under my 40 gallon glass tank makes a hot spot of 105 F just plugged in directly to the wall (100% full strength)... if I plug the UTH into a rheostat or lamp dimmer I can turn the heat down as low as I like ...but I can never get higher than the rated output of the UTH...(100%) unless I buy a larger / more powerful UTH rated at a higher wattage. In theory a 10 watt UTH would get hotter than an 8 watt.

02/22/12  11:17pm

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area