Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cages and Enclosures Forum

Miller28   Bob and Yoshi   Bob and Yoshi  
 Member  Message

Miller28
View Profile

How secure are snake racks?

My parents say they don’t want me to get a snake rack because the snakes will get loose. Can you please post your experience with racks and their secureness. Thank You

10/18/11  10:25pm

Bob and Yoshi
View Profile

Message To: Miller28   In reference to Message Id: 2241079

Dealing with how secure a cage would be for a snake really depends on the snake, usually smaller thin bodied snakes are the escape artists like corn snakes where as bigger more heavier bodied snakes like boas have the muscle to push open their cage. HONESTLY snake racks are more secure you usually have maybe less than an 16th of an inch space or less between the top of the tub and the rack shelf so as long as you dont have a hatchling snake like a hatchling corn snake that are very small and thin you wont have any escapes it would still be VERY difficult for an hatchling snake to escape tho almost impossible, you have to keep in mind that the snake cannot push up on the shelf like they can on a regular cage top snake cage so they are indeed more secure you do however need to make sure that you build it correctly you do not want your snakes over heating or your rack to catch on fire you have to use the right supplies you do not want to skimp or cut corners at all !!! here are some sites that I think you will enjoy www.boaphileplastics.com www.northeastsnakes.com/racks.html

10/18/11  10:48pm

Bob and Yoshi
View Profile

Message To: Miller28   In reference to Message Id: 2241079

Dealing with how secure a cage would be for a snake really depends on the snake, usually smaller thin bodied snakes are the escape artists like corn snakes where as bigger more heavier bodied snakes like boas have the muscle to push open their cage. HONESTLY snake racks are more secure you usually have maybe less than an 16th of an inch space or less between the top of the tub and the rack shelf so as long as you dont have a hatchling snake like a hatchling corn snake that are very small and thin you wont have any escapes it would still be VERY difficult for an hatchling snake to escape tho almost impossible, you have to keep in mind that the snake cannot push up on the shelf like they can on a regular cage top snake cage so they are indeed more secure you do however need to make sure that you build it correctly you do not want your snakes over heating or your rack to catch on fire you have to use the right supplies you do not want to skimp or cut corners at all !!! here are some sites that I think you will enjoy www.boaphileplastics.com www.northeastsnakes.com/racks.html

10/18/11  10:49pm

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area