Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cages and Enclosures Forum

Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared  
 Member  Message

Getscared
View Profile

Iguana cage- building

So Im planning an iguana cage. Figured id see what all you guys think about it.

Id like it to be at least 6x4x6, im willing to go bigger if i can. I have discovered the materials section on craigslist so im scouring it for cool things to use in the construction. Im planning on doing the styrofoam rock build up as the background and maybe on the sides. Id like to build a 3 tier waterfall into it (with a little filter to keep his poopies from moving into the pump. Also want a fogger at the bottom.

I was thinking of maybe taking an old sink and making it into a pool or soemthing. I dunno, just cool stuff like that that makes use of some junk.

I bought some sliding doors.. they might not work but the guys selling them for 10 bucks and delivering for free so hey if they dont work who cares?

Im mostly posting this bc im bored at work. The topic is open for discussion (if anyone even gets on the cages forum x.x)

10/05/11  04:08pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2239313

Iguana cage- building

i always hit view unanswered topics. recently i decided to build a tank, well three tanks for my ball pythons, just moved the first guy in tonight and i thought id give you alittle advice.
make sure you are ready to rack your brains over every little detail from now until the day you are done, couple nights i barely slept cause i kept getting great ideas.
i dont know what kind of humdiity iguanas require but if any you gotta waterproof everything.make sure you have the room you need to even do this, i did it in an apartment and it was a huge pain in the arse.
watch your spending, i quickly got up over 200$ (glass aint cheap! you scored if those doors work) even though most of my materials were from an old entertainment center.
take your time measure twice cut once
and good luck.

10/06/11  11:39pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2239516

Iguana cage- building

I check the unanswered topics too :)

I know what you mean! Im constantly thinking of little things here and there and how to make the whole thing as good as i can make it. I am fortunate enough to be renting a large house with a big sunroom. Thats the only reason i even allowed myself to buy the iguana!
As far as waterproofing, I know the styrofoam method works with light water (like being misted and pooped on) but i dont know if it will stand up to say a pool of water. So i will test that and maybe coat it in something. I have plastic resin and I know that it is animal safe once it is formed. Might make some cool stuff from it.

Oh i know it gets so expensive x.x Thats why im starting it now so i will have nearly a year to perfect it before my iggy is even big enough for it.

Thanks for the pointers! Got any pics of your snakes/cages?

10/07/11  05:06pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2239578

Iguana cage- building

been meaning to post about it but havent taken too many pics. this is chicken little my female bp taking a half finshed tank for a test run

the floor is glass thats where i spent a big chunk of my money on but it was the best way i could have a sealed waterproof floor that i could get heat through, working out good. ive got the wood to do trim work on it but im in no rush to do it now that the actual tanks are complete here is how it sits for right now

chicken was first to move in he is a male normal bp

psycho my everglades rat snake he will be moving into chicken littles tank when she moves into a new one

my hog island boa i gotta build her one next

and my black milk snake she could go in the stack but i doubt it, ill prolly have that filled before she is big enough to move in there

good luck with your build

10/07/11  09:24pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2239624

Iguana cage- building

Looking great! I’ve seen your boas picture around the sight before. He is easily recognizable haha

10/09/11  07:45pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2239815

Iguana cage- building

thanks they are all growing so fast. its unfortunate she has that bump, it is hard to miss,but its grown on me, i think she is beautiful!

10/09/11  09:09pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2239826

Iguana cage- building

Mine are too. Before you know it you look at them and all of a sudden realize they arent babies anymore!

I dont think it detracts from her bueaty :)
Its cool to have a unique feature every now and then. The little things that set them apart

10/10/11  04:23pm

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area