Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cages and Enclosures Forum

Alyssa8   Damion930   Alyssa8   Cphill58  
 Member  Message

Alyssa8
View Profile

Window well enclosures

We have a few window wells in my basement that i thought would be great to make into a new home for my bearded dragon and box turtle in the warm months. They are brick on the sides, and there are white construction rocks on the bottom. I will put new substrate over it though.They have clear doors so i could easily get in and out if necessary. I am planning to put a screen on the top so nothing can get in or out. One can be a dry habitat for my bearded dragon and the other can have moss and digging areas for my turtle. i wanted to put live plants in there too but i don’t know what could survive.Would i also need to put extra heat lights in the window well just in case its not warm enough outside?Would my bearded dragon be okay if it rains outside?Should i leave them outside, overnight? Any suggestions to my idea??

07/07/11  12:15pm

Damion930
View Profile

Message To: Alyssa8   In reference to Message Id: 2227917

Window well enclosures

I would be worried about outside parasites bacteria and other contaminants.

07/09/11  12:36am

Alyssa8
View Profile

Message To: Damion930   In reference to Message Id: 2228118

Window well enclosures

But dont many people house their box turtles outside?

07/09/11  12:45am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Alyssa8   In reference to Message Id: 2228119

Window well enclosures

You can prepare ...set it up , But you will need a temp gun to measure temps with and triple check everything. If the temps are low you will need to supplement them with artificial heat/ lamps. And you may need a thermostat to operate them on and off as temps change through the day.
temp gun
temp control
If it rains you may have trouble ....the lamps might get wet and pop...the dragon will need a dry shelter. And make sure it won’t drown if a real heavy storm comes along. Same for the turtle.

We had some major thunder storms last week. Very , very heavy rain.

07/13/11  02:14am

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area