Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Cages and Enclosures Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Xxxravenxxx   Cphill58   Dracen knights   Getscared   Cphill58   Retile_expert   Cphill58   Sloane   Xxxravenxxx   Mschip   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Found this forum and wanted to get some opinions

ok so my bf is planning to get a colombian red tail and since his mom and sister are scared of snakes hes gonna leave it with me to take care of. red tail boas can get really big and buying enclosure after enclosure is kinda pricey so i was wondering once the boa is about 4 or 5 feet long, if a hand built cage thats big enough to be a permanent home for the rest of the snakes life? i have been thinking about making a couple show animal cages.

i was thinking on building a cage that can be used as one big cage or 2 or 3 smaller cages. or a combo of a large cage and small cage or whatever. the doors on the front will be small doors that all lock together to make the big door. inside i want to be able to easily place strong wood to make separate smaller cages if needed. the cage will be big enough to house 3 ball pythons (20gallon longs when cage is divided) or one full grown adult boa(approximatively 80gallon - 100gallon size cage without dividers in place)

does anyone think this is a neat idea like i do? it will be a lot of work but im willing to do it once i get the time, tools and the money to do it. i think a cage like this will be perfect for any kind of large snake or several mall snakes like ball pythons.

01/11/11  11:22am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2197591

well, kinda confusing...what about the RTB if you divide the areas for balls. And if you get an RI in one snake that could pass to the others ...mites too.

new acquisitions should be quarantined anyway for 30-60 days. I prefer to stack cages making each one seperate ...since heat rises in a multiple housing unit , it makes getting temps correct a challenge.

We do have a condo type unit for Bearded Dragons ...but not for the snakes.
This could be converted with solid sides.

Including lights and basking lamps tax and all ...about 420.00 ...not bad for four ea 4x2x2
You could save some money with snakes as they don’t need UVB lamps. (floors are sheet vinyl on the press board shelf that comes with it)

Cp

01/16/11  02:57pm

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2198735

ha cp that’s a very nice idea.. i might just have to do something like that...

01/16/11  06:04pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2197591

Check out monster cages or boaphile. They really are THAT expensive compared to building your own. I think you will spend as much money building one as you would buying.

Monster cages has an 8 footer than should suffice for the boa for most of its life. it also has optional dividers.
Boaphile has lighter weight plastic cages for about the same price.
A big cage like that will only cost you about 600 bucks and that way you have a garuantee it is safe and functional.

Thats just my opinion ofcourse. I have a baby RTB and ive been preparing for when he grows up.

01/16/11  09:45pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2198833

Dracen...if you make the sides solid(OSB) and only make two compartments you can cut down expenses tremendously. And control temps better utilizing UTH’s and other lamps/ CHE’s
the frame comes in 2 sizes ...5x3 and 6x4...I like the 6x4... the bottom can be used for storage if not occupied.

Any questions ...I will be around.

Cp

01/17/11  02:51am

Retile_expert
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2198889

CP that is a great idea I’ve been wanting to do something like that with my reptiles and that seems like a 1day project that doesn’t seem to hard or like to much work which is great with me with my busy schedule with work and caring for pets, and xxxRavenxxx red tails are great snakes and mine can be pretty entertaining sometimes. I have to start feeding mine rabbits not fun or great but it’s something I got to do.

02/14/11  10:47pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Retile_expert   In reference to Message Id: 2205011

Well it takes a week end for sure ...maybe if you have everything already at your finger tips you can do it in one day...12 hrs.

Running back and forth to Home Depot / Lowes will eat up a couple hours for sure.
We ordered the UVB tubes online and that took 5 days or so....all in all it really is a great unit and versatile too.

02/15/11  02:31am

Sloane
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2205039

This is what I used ... Its made of plastic shelving and was relatively cheap .... idk if it will help

02/15/11  02:50am

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Message To: Sloane   In reference to Message Id: 2205042

thanks but the guy that was supposedly gettign the boa for me was a jack bozo and dumped me. i cant get anymore snakes anyway.

02/15/11  05:07pm

Mschip
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2205152

cphill58 that is a great idea but how does the glass front work for getting into? And how are yours heated? Mine would be for snakes so heating might be interesting...

02/20/12  07:05pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mschip   In reference to Message Id: 2256196

MsChip,
The front doors are sliding...also called bypass doors. I used 1/8" acrylic panels from Lowes.

The heating can be achieved in a number of ways. UTH can be installed in a recessed area made with a router and covered flush with acrylic or glass. The cord can be run out the back / side.

Heat lamps can be used and installed on the ceiling of each compartment ...the Keyless lamp holder is made of porcelain and available at Home Depot for 1.59...a few feet of 16 ga. 2 wire / lamp cord is also easily purchased and wired in....don’t for get to buy a male plug
keyless lamp socket
You need to get some hardware cloth and make a cage around the lamp/s so the snake does not burn themselves.
hardaware cloth

If you need more details about doors / track/ wiring / and electrical with pictures I will be back from Montana on the week end and have access to my desktop PC and more images.

02/22/12  11:03pm

Back to Cages and Enclosures Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area