Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

UninspiredForumName   Gopherdude   Sandboaking  

Member  Message

UninspiredForumName
View Profile

Is it normal for my pacific gopher snake to stay hidden mostly all day?

My new pacific gopher snake doesn’t seem to be stressed as he ate 3 days after I got him. I use a lamp and the right side is 85 degrees while the cool side is 70-76 and humidity is usually around 50 to 60 percent. There is a hide on the hot and cool side, a crazy piece of wood and a water bowl in the center. I thought that pacific gopher snakes were active during the day? Mine is always coiled in one of the two hides other than when he moves between them or the rare times he hangs out on the substrate instead. Otherwise, he just peeks his head from the hides and watches me but gets scared and goes back inside when I look back. Is this normal? Will this behavior stop eventually or is this just how they are? Also, he has been very nice during handling and had never hissed or striked at me. Thanks!

10/26/12  01:22am

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: UninspiredForumName   In reference to Message Id: 2283849

Pretty normal behavior for a neonate gopher. Every now and then, you get a bolder individual but for the most part, the neonates are shy and retiring in personality. I currently have three neonate Pacific’s that are all feeding well but on different schedules and time tables. This time of year, they typically slow down some with the shortening days and the cooler temps. Give them their space and be patient with them. Warm their food to about your body temp (cupped hands work really well for this). When the pinkies or fuzzies are good and warm, place them just inside of the hide that the snake is in and then leave the room. Once they adjust to feeding in this way, it becomes fairly routine to them. Females will always feed better than males overall. Just seems to be a rule of gopher snake 101...

10/27/12  11:48am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2283929

Hi, I have a quick suggestion for you. Remove the light. It’s not really needed, and as long as you have a uth underneath the tank, you won’t have to worry about temps. But in general they do hide a lot.

11/04/12  01:16pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area