Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DeejahB   RrAaZz   RrAaZz   DeejahB  

Member  Message

DeejahB
View Profile

Friend gave me her Gopher Snake. *Need some info about them PLEASE*

My Friend gave me her Gopher Snake.. I’m not sure about how good of a caregiver she was.
I tried feeding him and he wont eat, So I’m a little worried about that. I love snakes, I’ve always wanted one, so I want to be able to hold him and get him use to being held as well. I am also not sure about how I can tell whether its a male or female. I did a little research on how to tell whether its a male or female, but I am not fully comfortable holding him yet, I don’t want him to feel like he is being attacked nor do I want to be attacked. Anyone have any useful information for me??

08/08/12  09:24pm

RrAaZz
View Profile

Message To: DeejahB   In reference to Message Id: 2276102

For the feeding: Do you know when he last ate? If it has been less than 2 weeks he may no be hungry (depending on if he is over a year old) the mouse/rat might also be to big, the way you can tell is if the mouse/rat is bigger around than the snake then its to big. For the handaling: If he is aggresive you might be scared to hold him, if that is the case you might want to put his tank where he can see the family (unless you think this might stress him out) then he might start getting used to people, and if you feel comfurtible you can take him out (Dont put him is stressfull situation just let him sit in your lap) if he isnt aggresive the you can take him out whenever you want but try not to tke him out more than 4 hours a day and try not to put him in stressfull situations. If you do tke him out around peiple watch him carfully he may react different to different people, my bull snake loves me and most of my friends but one of my friend he just plan hates, he hisses at her and struck at her once. If he does strike at someone he might not bite he may just ’head butt’ which may scare you but it wont hert, personly i dont think non-venomous snake bites hurt, but thats me. For the ’sexing’ : I can no stress this enough, DO NOT TRY AND SEX HIM YOURSELF!!! IT HURT OF EVEN KILL HIM/HER!!! If you want him/her sexed bring him at a licensed vet that knows how to sex snakes. My bull snake was sexed for only because the lady i got him from didnt want to jave babys and she wanted to put him in a tank with another bull snake. I would sugest not to get him sexed for no reson. I hope this helps, have fun with your new snake :D

08/09/12  07:02am

RrAaZz
View Profile

Message To: RrAaZz   In reference to Message Id: 2276165

Sorry i spelled a few things wrong im on my mobile so i dont have spellcheck :P

08/09/12  07:06am

DeejahB
View Profile

Message To: RrAaZz   In reference to Message Id: 2276166

Yes, It did help.