Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Mhd730399   Gopherdude   Mhd730399   Gopherdude  
 Member  Message

Mhd730399
View Profile

Bull snake won’t eat

I’ve had my white-sided bull snake for 3 months now and he has stopes eating. For the first month he ate every 5 days. He hasn’t eaten since then. I bought him from a show by my house. He went to the vetbupon pitching and the fecal was clear. Temps are 75 cool and 90 hot. I don’t know what to do. Any tips.

10/02/11  07:20pm

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: Mhd730399   In reference to Message Id: 2239012

Bull snake won’t eat

Don’t worry, it’s seasonal "draw down" time when nearly all snakes go off feed. About the only snakes that regularly feed this time of year are the neonates. In another month, put him down for the winter, (a dark, quiet part of your home with temps down in the 55 to 60 range). Come early February, bring him back up to normal temps and lighting, give him a week or two to re-acclimate and he should begin the new year feeding as usual. Following his first shed, he may go into a 45 day "cruise" period when he constantly prowls about his enclosure in search of females. When that ends (sometime around the first of May), he will feed like there is no tomorrow - until late summer or early fall when he goes off feed again.

This year, I’m going to pick up a couple of wine coolers to brumate my snakes. Can keep the temps within at an even 55 regardless of ambient temps. They will each have their own sweater box with wood chips and I’ll throw a moving pad over the coolers to keep things good and dark. Don’t sweat the non feeding periods. I have snakes that regularly go off feed for eight to nine months. They lose some weight, some even draw down to the skinny range, but they all put it right back on the next year. Learning to roll with basic snake feeding behavior is a tough thing for many keepers but they feed when they want up until the point when they don’t for short or long periods.

10/04/11  07:20am

Mhd730399
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2239131

Bull snake won’t eat

Thanks that was very helpful. This is the first year I’ll be putting any animals down. My only concern is that this guy is a neonate. When I got him three months ago he still had a scab from the umbilical ( sp) cord. Butbi now have a baerdie and several geckos and snakes that will go down. Also I have bought several snakes from breeders and I don’t know the exact age. Try are close to a year but how will I know if they are ready? He has only lost a few grams butbi am worried. I M deffinatly ready for brumation. I have tubs in the basement ready for the snakes and the lizards are staying in my room with no heat.

10/04/11  06:12pm

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: Mhd730399   In reference to Message Id: 2239208

Bull snake won’t eat

I’ve kept some neonates up for their first year and I’ve put some down if they were feeding well beforehand. You may want to try for 45 days or so to see if you can reset his internal timer for feeding. I like to bring mine back up well into the new year when the days are getting visibly longer. I have never succeeded at tricking my snakes with artificial light. They seem to be able to sense photo-period change and the associated albeit subtle changes in temperature and humidity that accompany the changing seasons. Then, most of my animals are first or second generation wild caughts.

Last year, I brought home a wild neonate Sonoran in late October, fed it several times and then put it down for three months. It did just fine. Your snake may have some health/developmental issues which may put it at risk no matter what. You may want to consult a vet.

10/05/11  07:27am

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area