Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Greatballzofire   MacGoddess   Greatballzofire   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   Just Curious~   Greatballzofire   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Just Curious~   Greatballzofire   Gopherdude   Greatballzofire   Gopherdude   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   Gopherdude   Shrimpkorn   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Cphill58   Greatballzofire  

Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Bull snake Eggs!

Zoey the bull snake this morning.

Her eggs in incubator. The little clump of eggs in the center are pyro eggs halfway through incubation. The nine big eggs are Zoey’s. This is the only incubator I have so they will have to incubate together. The pyro eggs are halfway through incubation so I think things will work out okay.

I realized Zoey was gravid a few weeks ago, and commenced to worry as she is very young even though she is over four feet long and was in good condition going into this thing. To compound my worries she laid one egg on May 30 in the evening and I found it in the aspen, like it had taken her by surprise. It is the egg in the lower left hand of the photo. It looks okay, I think. I’ve seen less pretty eggs hatch, so there is hope for it, as well as for a couple of the others which look not perfect. The rest of the eggs were properly laid in her moist sphagnum moss nest. She successfully laid all her eggs and has no retained eggs or slugs.

Needless to say I am profoundly relieved! I think she is, too!

This morning I had to go to town for a few hours, so I left a big handful of plump live fuzzies in her nest with her. When I came home she had eaten them and she actually hissed at me! Normally she never hisses at me, or even buzzes her tail much. I was happy to see she was full of spunk (not her mate’s spunk, though! LOL! He has been moved to separate quarters for awhile). I’ll feed her every couple days and get her weight back up in no time.

Here they are in May 2010. They are more golden in color now, and of course much bigger. I didn’t think (D’OH!) that they would mate this year. It’s a good thing I am not raising teenagers!

06/02/11  06:30pm

MacGoddess
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2222345

Bull snake Eggs!

Congratulations to Zoey, and to you, the proud papa! I’m actually excited for you. You’ll keep us posted, I hope. :)

06/02/11  11:03pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2222373

Bull snake Eggs!

Thanks!
Later this evening I fed her again, as she seemed still hungry. Already she looks better, less scrawny than she did right after laying this clutch. In 50 to 70 days I should get baby bull snakes!

06/03/11  12:05am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2222382

Bull snake Eggs!

WOW !!! very eggciting....congrats

I can’t wait to see the spectacular hatchlings...so envious... what a nice color they should throw !!

06/03/11  12:16am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2222385

Bull snake Eggs!

Thanks!
I am expecting at least six hatchlings out of this clutch. This pair comes from a clutch of six. These snakes are my Kingsville Red x Stillwater Hypos and have very mellow dispositions, especially for pituophis. Zoey only hissed at me because she was still hungry. It is amazing how much the females will eat after egg laying!

A funny side note on feeding; the other day I was feeding Alfonzo the male by hand and he took two weanling mice from my fingers no problem but I had a left over pinky from a baby pyro, and when Alfonzo went to take it from my fingers he also got my index finger. So I had to wait for a few minutes while he figured out he had a hold of my finger as well as the pink. If I tried to pull away his teeth would just sink in deeper. Finally he realized the finger was the wrong thing and let go. I finished feeding him with tongs. I got a little spot of blood and a good laugh from this lesson! LOL!

Another old picture; I think today I will take some newer photos of them.

06/03/11  09:24am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2222423

Bull snake Eggs! New Pics!

A couple of photos taken this morning:

Alfonzo

Zoey; looking thin but at the rate she is eating will plump up quickly.

06/03/11  10:07am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2222427

They’re gorgeous! <3
I know the little ones will be too!

Congrats! 8D

06/03/11  01:08pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2222437

Thanks!

Zoey at 3 months old. If they all come out looking like that I will be thrilled!

06/03/11  03:46pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2222467

Sooo...the question needs to asked. What will you do with them ...will they go to market?

Cp

06/04/11  03:05pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2222608

Quote:

Sooo...the question needs to asked. What will you do with them ...will they go to market?

Ack! The million dollar question!
I have no idea what I will do with these baby snakes, outside of keeping them and giving them a good home. I have some friends who keep snakes, maybe they will want one or two.

A clutch hatching April 30, 2009, same age as my bulls and from same breeder. Not sure if it’s the same clutch as mine came from, though.

If they hatch and you want one let me know and arrangements can be made concerning shipping. I just want them to have a good life, not stuck in a tub somewhere.

06/04/11  05:35pm

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2222633

Quote:

I just want them to have a good life, not stuck in a tub somewhere.

*standing ovation*
I wish more folks were like you! 8D

06/04/11  07:12pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2222645

Just Curious:
Thanks, but actually I wish more folks would not make the dumb mistake I just made with thinking my bulls would not breed at two years of age. Three years old is much better. Now I have them separated to avoid any more breeding. If not separated she could double clutch and that would really be hard on this very young girl. I have three year old gophers who have not bred yet, so was assuming the bulls would be the same. Think again! LOL!

06/05/11  10:20am

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2222427

Hey Bob, congrats on the early clutch. Not bad for a pair of youngsters. Hope you get a few stunners from the clutch. Wow, Alfonzo is putting on some size and mass. Reminds me of my Ahnuld...

06/10/11  06:51am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2223907

Quote:

Reminds me of my Ahnuld...

Ahnuld! Such an awesome dude!
As you may have heard on the news, our human Ahnuld out here in California sired an extra offspring of his own! LOL! I wish your Ahnuld could sire a clutch with Zoey next year. Just love your Ahnuld!

The eggs yesterday; down to the six original good looking ones. The three that looked a bit misshapen I threw away as they began to get a bit of mold and did not look like they could go the distance. The remaining six have plumped up and have a slight pinkish cast, looking very much alive.

06/10/11  09:06am

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2223917

Yeah, I follow all such stories of our politicians at a distance. There are some words such as integrity and fidelity that no longer apply to elected officials. The Ahnuld of the 70s, 80s and early 90s is the one that I choose to selectively remember. My Ahnuld is by-all-means an awesome and handsome dude. Will Zoey be making a trip to the desert in the next year or two? As big as Ahnuld is, things may get a little rough in there : )

06/11/11  03:34pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2224206

How big is Ahnuld in grams? How old is he? I think you said he is an 07, but not sure. Just looking at him, I think in a couple of years maybe Zoey will be able to take him on.

If he ran for political office I would vote for him; at least he would be an honest snake of a politician! LOL!

06/18/11  09:56am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2224206

How big is Ahnuld in grams? How old is he? I think you said he is an 07, but not sure. Just looking at him, I think in a couple of years maybe Zoey will be able to take him on.

If he ran for political office I would vote for him; at least he would be an honest snake of a politician! LOL!

06/18/11  09:57am

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2225519

Ahnuld is an 08 who is just now shy of three years old. As of this morning he weighed 6.84 pounds. That’s 3102.57 grams or 3.1 kg. I knew I should have kept that boy away from steroids : )

06/19/11  02:23pm

Shrimpkorn
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2225724

Well, you know teenagers! Mine got into the liquor cabinet the other night then tried to make off with my wallet today to go buy "snake toys!" I sat him down to talk about behaving responsibly and he just sort of stared at me, then got in my face and gave me raspberries.

06/29/11  05:22pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Shrimpkorn   In reference to Message Id: 2227059

What has happened to the eggs????
Inquiring minds seek the answer...pics need to be posted of the 1 month old snakes???

My corns are well into their 3rd shed and growing like weeds

09/05/11  02:16am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2235695

What Happened to the Bull Snake Eggs!

Sorry to respond so late to this thread. Here is post from another forum. Rozy is a third bigger than her brothers and has been the biggest since birth. She is a keeper, and TightChain, as well. The other defective looking eggs went bad early in incubation so I tossed them out. The little pyro eggs all hatched, too, in early July.

Rozy, the lone female.

Her four brothers. These are Kingsville x Stillwaters.

I took these photos this morning using a full spectrum lamp, to try to show the colors better. Some of the males are beginning to look a little redder. They were hatched first week of August. One of the brothers has a tight chain pattern so I call him TightChain. He is the prettiest brother, in my opinion.

11/20/11  07:49pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2244848

Sweet lookin snakes boss...sorry to hear that so many of the clutch went bad , That always ticks me off too.

They look huge for 4 months old !

11/21/11  12:09am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2244876

Actually I am quite satisfied to have got the five babies. Zoey the mama has gotten nice and fat again, and I may allow her and Alfonzo another breeding next spring. They are brumating now. The babies are still feeding and will do so all winter.
Rozy is way bigger than her brothers. She is almost 30 inches long. Everybody like to eat!

The white marks on the boys is just to tell them apart. There are two brothers who are the smallest and don’t eat as much as Rozy and the others, although they do also eat, just not as much or often. I have to keep track of who ate what when.

11/21/11  08:57am

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area