Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Just Curious~   Tupi1   Just Curious~   Just Curious~   Tupi1   Just Curious~   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Just Curious~   Just Curious~   Cphill58   Just Curious~   Just Curious~   Just Curious~  
 Member  Message

Just Curious~
View Profile

LOTS of pics of my amel pacific gophers & enclosure! Opinions?

Lets see here, this is my first time posting pictures....You’ve probably seen a few questions from me though~

This is the female, Carmen, named after the French opera. She’s about 4’3"

and this is the male, Phoenix, named because....well he’s orange like fire and I’m uncreative. He’s about 4’ on the nose.

He’s the pain in my butt that hasn’t eaten for 3 months now! *shakes fist*

Both are completely nonaggressive, handle well and never offered to bite even in stressful situations. They do have spunk though, especially the female. Both rattle their tails and hiss a bit, but she’ll lash out and give a "roar" of a hiss if she’s real annoyed.

Here’s a pic of Phoenix’s enclosure

I was trying to get it while he was drinking, but he stopped to give me a look. Little brat. ;p

and another

You can’t see it there, but there’s another tube right alongside the glass.

Here’s a closeup of him chillin from that last pic

This is him curled up in his "twigaloo"

I didn’t even think he’d like that, but he seems comfortable there.

Now you may notice that his enclosure is a little scraggly. I’ve given up on making it look orderly, he just burrows too much. He goes under anything and just displaces everything. He clumps up the bedding in some places and exposes the flooring in others.
Is that bad? Should I change his bedding? It doesn’t seem to be hurting anything...

Okay now here’s Carmen’s

Diff angle

That box in the background has two entrances, the hole on top and also one on the side where the big tube connects to it.
You can see her coming out of that tube here

Her enclosure has been changed around a bit since I took these pics, this eggflat

has been tossed because she never did anything with it and kinda avoided it. I was hoping she’d burrow under it, but she doesn’t burrow like Phoenix does even though the substrate is plenty thick enough.

the only time I saw her on it

The porportions might look funky because the elevation actually changes a bit. That box is somewhat tall so the substrate kinda "ramps" up to it a bit and covers it up. A lot of the box is underneath.
Also in case you can’t tell, that knobby blob is a chunk of wood. ^^

That’s it for now I guess~
So what do you guys think about the enclosures in general? Anything I should change around? They’re 4’x2’x2’ critter condos, temp in the mid 80’s during the day and mid 70’s at night. They don’t use the height, but it’s what I have.
Carmen seems comfortable, I often see her slithering out and about and she’s eating well. For some reason, Phoenix prefers to hide and he hasn’t eaten once. Different personalities I supose?

They’re ’07s and I plan to breed them next year. They’ll be my first ever breeding project~ (Yay!) Any advice is appreciated! *is a n00b*
Question: I asked this earlier but do they seem too small for their age/species? How much should they weigh for breeding? The male hasn’t eaten in months is that likely to harm his chances...?

THANKS GUYS! <3

04/26/11  04:46pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2216071

WOW those are gorgeous.And the setups look great.I have a young pair of Sonoran gophers, the female is a hypo the male a normal.But those amels are just awesome.I love gopher attitudes.My female also throws a fit but is really calm one picked up and she is just a big bluffer and never bites.

04/27/11  09:19am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2216071

I retract my earlier statement about them not utilizing the height...

Carmen’s hungry, I’ve got a rat thawing. ;p

04/27/11  03:17pm

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2216135

@Tupil: Thanks! Your sonorans sound awesome too! <3
"All bark and no bite" About sums it up! I love it their attitude as well, it keeps things interesting! ;p

04/27/11  03:19pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2216197

Mine dont really use the height much.I Put some climbing branches and the female used it the first day only.The male doesnt climb, he is alot more secretive.The female is very curious about anything new in the cage.And will often sit with her head on the sliding glass railing at the bottom just looking out.

04/27/11  03:25pm

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2216198

Yeah sounds just like mine! XD
Carmen will sometimes rest her head on the low part of the branch, but she never really "climbs". The wood is more there for cover and decoration at this point.

Although one time I went in the room and saw Phoenix climbing a bit, that was really weird because he’s the shy one. Of course upon seeing me he immediately got off and went to go hide in his tube. Makes you wonder what else they do when you’re not around...

04/27/11  05:46pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2216230

Nice critter condos from my favorite builders no less....! You did an outstanding job on the enclosure...very nice!!

Are you near WF Reptiles??

05/24/11  12:52am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2216230

Can’t believe I missed this thread! Awesome snakes! I like the cute little basket hides. Sort of like hiding under a tumbleweed.

05/25/11  11:50am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2220713

@cphill58

Thanks! =D
I really love the critter condos, they’re great! I like things to be nice and sturdy and they do the job well! <3

I’ve never heard of WF reptiles until now, but it seems I’m not too far away. ’Bout 30 miles or so. It sounds like a neat place, I’ll have to look into it some more!

I actually bought these two at a small store in Stanton called Reptile Island, it was pretty close to my old house and the folks there carry them.

Thanks again~

05/26/11  02:22am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2220945

@greatballzofire

Thanks! =D

Yeah Phoenix really loves that basket. He spends a lot of time in and around it. ;p

I actually changed their enclosures a wee bit shortly after I posted this thread...I’ve tried to upload pics but I’m having issues with my comp reading the SD card. *grrr*

Phoenix just has a different water dish, he’s got the same corner dish as Carmen now because he kept displacing/tilting the old one with his burrowing. Not a big change, but it’s already helped a lot.

Carmen’s enclosure is pretty different now, everything got swapped around. She went into shed a few weeks ago and decided to use that cardboard hide as shelter. Only problem with that was that the cardboard didn’t handle well when I raised the humidity there, so I just tossed it and got another one of those fake ceramic rock ones. Then I couldn’t put the branch on that so it’s kinda in the middle now, lower down. She seems really happy with it, she’s using the climbing branch a lot more, and I personally think it looks much better.

Hopefully I’ll get pics up soon!
Thanks again~

05/26/11  02:33am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2221041

@greatballzofire

Yep WF Reptiles opened in Montclair ...Becky and Chris used to and still do breed rodents...great prices too. That was her exclusive business and she was wholesale only. After much prodding by her friends and family she went retail and has a fabulous shop ...great reptiles and enclosures. Fantastic deals on substrates in bulk. So much more and they have grown to open a store in Chino Hills, Calif. also
I highly recommend you get there as spring is upon us and the inventory is probably swelling this time of year.

Say Hello from Chris who moved to Utah. I sure wish someone distributed those cages here...closest place is Denver 10-12 hours away.

05/27/11  12:48am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2221217

@cphill58

Cool! I think I’ll have to stop by there sometime! I’ll be sure to tell them who recommended them and that you say "Hi!"

It’s too bad that you’re so far away from cage distributers now. Shipping something like that doubles the price.... I hope you’ll find a closer alternative if you haven’t already!

05/31/11  03:15am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2221041

NEW ENCLOSURE PICS!!!

Finally got that darn SD card working! ;p

So here’s Phoenix’s new water dish. Nothing much has changed for him.

I hope he’ll enjoy it as much as Carmen does.

Carmen has the same one and she loves her water dish hot tub jacuzzi! ;p

Here’s what Carmen’s enclosure looks like now.

I like this way much better than the old style!

She’s still got tubes and everything, they’re just a bit harder to see.

The cages are stacked on top of one another.

and the whole set-up looks like this.

You know, your head looks funny tilted like that! XD Sorry, I went back to photobucket and edited it, but for some reason it’s not changing... Oh well. *head tilt*
The table’s homemade. It weighs a few tons, but at least I don’t have to worry about it breaking! ;p

So what do you guys think? Do you guys like her old one better or this newer one? Unless there’s some glaring error I don’t see with this current one, I think I’m going to stick with it. It’s easier to get around.

05/31/11  03:28am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2221901

NEW ENCLOSURE PICS!!!

Huh, looks like that last photo suddenly decides to start working...

06/01/11  04:24pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area