Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Phoenix23   JackAsp   Phoenix23   Cphill58   Phoenix23   Cphill58   Phoenix23  
 Member  Message

Phoenix23
View Profile

New Bull Owner

So im picking up a white sided bull tomorrow and just wanted to know what people thought about them... Any tips would be great as i have never owned this species before. he’ll be going into a pretty big enclosure that has a lot of built in branches... do bulls use those branches at all????

Again tips or advice would be great

Thanks

04/14/11  02:48pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2214396

New Bull Owner

Once the adult girth kicks in, you’ll need very thick branches to interest them. But if there’s a lot of floor space, it’s not a big deal if they climb or not.
The biggies are:
Lots of wandering space.
Lots of hides, which ironically means more time out in the open. Snakes with only a couple of hides are usually denned in. Snakes with a wide variety will come out and relocate a few times an houir, at least.
Burrowable substrate and/or playtubes. pits love their tunnels.
Lighting, because this is a snake with a strong preference for diurnal activity.
And, if you’ve got room, try offering two slightly oversized warm-end caves. My bull is awesome about always using rearmost warm-side hide box as his bathroom. The underheat cooks it dry and odorless pretty fast, so cleanup is easy, and meanwhile he still has the warm cave right next to it to use should he require further heat. I can’t guarantee that yours will do the same thing, but you might want to offer him the chance. If he makes the same choice mine did, it will make both your lives a lot easier.

04/25/11  02:34am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2215830

New Bull Owner

This is his tank.... he loves the branches... and hiding behind his water bowl..... seems to be all about all the time tho.... he is really active... but mean too

04/25/11  06:37pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2215938

New Bull Owner

Love your new bull ....nice ...very nice snake.
Mine is gentle as a lamb ...only once when it was hungry did it ever strike the glass as I walked by...I immediately fed it and he calmed right back down. Has only hissed a time or two whilst eating....LOL ...kinda like don’t touch my food !! But after that I started hand feeding / in hand feeding. Very interesting concept of building a bond of trust...if you can imagine that?

Works for me..

I wish I had a mate to breed ....some day

Cp

05/30/11  11:03am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2221703

New Bull Owner

Thats awesome... BUT.... Some bone head offered to trade me a albino burm for my bull so of course i did....

05/30/11  04:02pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2221777

New Bull Owner

wow ....looks like you’ll be needing rabbits soon ...and a new cage too..!!

I have a 10 foot retic and he eats rabbits ...3-4 lbs each every 2-3 weeks.

05/31/11  11:28pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2222027

New Bull Owner

I already Have 2 Burms that are 9 feet.... They both eat 4-5lb rabbits every other week...... That tank will be good for the new guy till he gets about 8 feet.... so about a year... Then I’ll build another tank like the others i have

06/01/11  03:23pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area