Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

AsEpSiS   Cphill58   AsEpSiS   Cphill58  
 Member  Message

AsEpSiS
View Profile

Feeding N. Mexican Pine

First of all....thank you to everyone who helped answer my previous questions!! The feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

I got my little N. Mexican pine(around 13inches) last week (7 days ago) Thursday. Yesterday, I attempted to feed him a thawed fuzzy.(The person I ordered him from said he was already eating them.) Sadly enough, he didn’t eat.

After he was placed in his feeding enclosure (a plastic tote about 20g in size.) I used a pair of tongs to jiggle and wiggle the mouse near the snake. The snake struck the mouse several times, but they weren’t "feeding" strikes. After a few more strikes, I placed the snake back in his cage and tossed the mouse. Not wanting to stress him out too much.

Is this too soon to be trying to feed him? When should I try again? Should I have left him and the mouse in the feeding enclosure together? I notice the snake is most active at night....should I have tried the feeding at night time?

He looks great and by no means does he look emaciated, starving or sick. I would just really like to get him eating. The person I ordered him from claimed he was eating 1 fuzzy every 4-5 days!!

Any advice is welcome!!

I’ve had several pythons and one montior in the past. However, I’ve never fed my animals frozen/thawed mice! I always used to raise my own mice and offered live food. So, this is a completely new experience.

Thank you!!!

03/12/11  10:50am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: AsEpSiS   In reference to Message Id: 2209235

Feeding N. Mexican Pine

Quote:

After he was placed in his feeding enclosure (a plastic tote about 20g in size.) I used a pair of tongs to jiggle and wiggle the mouse near the snake. The snake struck the mouse several times, but they weren’t "feeding" strikes. After a few more strikes, I placed the snake back in his cage and tossed the mouse. Not wanting to stress him out too much.

Is this too soon to be trying to feed him? When should I try again? Should I have left him and the mouse in the feeding enclosure together? I notice the snake is most active at night....should I have tried the feeding at night time?

I had a finicky California king snake that struck just out of irritation at the prey item. ( much like what yours is doing)
It went off feed from June 22-Oct 15 , 2010...most infuriating and troubling...about 2 feet long and as thick as my thumb. I even considered force feeding raw egg via baby dropper. I was really getting worried as he had previously been fed frozen thawed adult mice....I was feeding live rat pups and similar items. He had eaten them prior and just stopped cold. Always the defensive strike and bluff when offered food. I offered every week end as a rule SAT and Sun when I am home the most. I had offered many times both day and night ...he didn’t appreciate being disturbed too much at night ... more of a day time eater. But I have gopher snakes that will eat anytime.

I even wrote on my feeding card FINALLY ATE !! on 10/15...they can be quite odd and break all the rules. There is no set logic to it all. Checked my temps ...(he loves his hide and bask spot) and made sure there was plenty of water.

So here we are sharing the experience and I have to say he eats all the time now ...anything that is size appropriate live or dead ...fresh killed. I have some frozen mice ..but I have yet to try those again.

I am not afraid to leave the food in the feeding area of his enclosure for a few hours...with the larger rainbow boa I have I leave the item overnight. Nothing is set in stone ...maybe the whole ordeal of moving the snake to a separate enclosure is confusing the snake. Try feeding it in the home base. There is nothing wrong with that at all. This theory of cage /feeding response is blown way out of proportion. I don’t have any problems feeding all 15 of my snakes in the enclosure by hand. Including boas and retic’s..kings..corns.

Just keep offering weekly 5-7 days... If the snake doesn’t eat in the day after 30 minutes ...refrigerate the hopper and try at night ...then after that I would toss it as spoilage can occur. Re freezing is an option ...but not more than 2x ...

I am sure the snake will come around , mine teach me more than I have ever read or heard.

Cp

03/12/11  01:17pm

AsEpSiS
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2209247

Feeding N. Mexican Pine

Thanks a lot for the advice! I just tossed the mouse near his favorite hide last night and covered the cage. I woke up this am and...........no mouse! Yay!

03/13/11  11:15am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2209247

Feeding N. Mexican Pine

Good Job ...!!!

03/13/11  03:04pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area