Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

AsEpSiS   Greatballzofire   MacGoddess   AsEpSiS   Greatballzofire   Cphill58   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

AsEpSiS
View Profile

Undertank heater/NM Pine ??s

What type of under tank heater are yall’ using? I’ve been experimenting with an electric heater used for back issues/home health. It has a low/med/high setting. It seems to work well, but automatically shuts off every 2 hours. I’ve looked, and looked, but it seems like all of them have this safety feature. This kinda sucks, because I’d like it to stay on over night to heat the tank slightly. I’ve heard of people using these heaters, but I don’t see how with it turning off every 2 hours. Even with a timer it would be a pain in the @$$. It seems an actual UTH would work better since it would stay on......right?....advice please.

Also, how much subtrate is "too much" for heat to get through with the heating pad? How many inches should I be using? I have a North Mexican Pine that is about 12-15 inches long sharing the cage with a 3in green anole. They are both in a 30gal tank. the substrate is coconut husk over top of a little organic potting soil (live plants goin on). I have a 75watt basking lamp, a grow bulb, and the UTH (heating pad) on one side. There are hides on both sides of the tank as well. I have temp strips on both sides of the bottom of the tank to measure ground temp. I also have one near the top on the basking side....it also measures humidity.

At night, my place drops to high 60’s, low 70s. During the day, its usually in the mid 70’s. Daytime temp strips at bottom of the tank read around 72ish on the cool side, and 74ish on the warm end (under basking light with no UTH going). The temp gauge at top of tank reads 80-85. I know these snakes prefer cooler temps.......but am I doing ok so far?

I live in TX, so its fixin to warm up in a few months. I was just worried about my temps currently being too cold .......advice please.

Thanks sooooo much

03/05/11  12:10am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: AsEpSiS   In reference to Message Id: 2208114

I use zoomed UTHs regulated by thermostats. Since my cabin gets pretty cold at night I create a hot spot in the aspen over the UTH with soda flat boxes over that for my bulls and gophers. For the big guys the box seems to be enough, with deep aspen. I make a little scooped out spot over the UTH so it is easy for them to coil up over it, like a warm nest.

For the smaller snakes I also stack terra cotta plant saucers over the UTHs so the snakes can have various thermal gradients and the welcome feeling of security from having tight spots to squeeze into.

Not pits (LOL!) but they like the saucers.

Lifting top saucer to show snake on bottom saucer which is directly over UTH. The soda flat box is big enough that it covers their saucer area and their moist sphagnum moss hide.

I might be a little concerned about the survival of your little anole, being housed with a snake!

03/05/11  09:58am

MacGoddess
View Profile

Message To: AsEpSiS   In reference to Message Id: 2208114

Seems like the heat elements that they make specifically for heating tanks are quite expensive, and all of the warnings on them really put me off getting one. One of them said if you wanted to use it underneath the tank, you had to use a particular type of substrate that would keep the animal from touching the bottom of the tank and getting too much direct heat from the heating element, but my gopher snake loves to burrow and lie at the bottom of her tank underneath several inches of substrate. So, that would mean I would have to stick it to the side of the tank instead, which I didn’t want to do. I have had much better luck, and no fires or burned snakes just using the heating pads designed for humans.

Fortunately, I have one heating pad that has been around for a while and does not have any regulations imposed upon it--it stays on until I decide to turn it off. But I think that they are all made with that shut-off "feature" now. I needed to get a second one, so I bought a new Sunbeam Health and Home, and the darn thing shut off every two hours. So, I started searching the internet and I found a fella who disabled his shut-off feature, so he could keep his pet hedgehog warm. Here is the link: Link I just used a soldiering iron to melt the soldier holding one of the pins to the circuit board and pried it up. The above link tells you which pin to remove and also has some other suggestions depending on your model. The heating pad no longer shuts off and has been working fine now for a few months. Doing this WILL void your warranty, and of course, you attempt the above at your own risk. Good luck.

03/05/11  11:38pm

AsEpSiS
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2208237

VERY helpul post!!!! Thanks! Im gonna give it a shot!!

03/06/11  02:00pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2208237

Link
Here is one that stays on; I guess enough folks really hated the two hour shut off feature...

03/07/11  10:56am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2208465

Quote:

Seems like the heat elements that they make specifically for heating tanks are quite expensive, and all of the warnings on them really put me off getting one. One of them said if you wanted to use it underneath the tank, you had to use a particular type of substrate that would keep the animal from touching the bottom of the tank and getting too much direct heat from the heating element,

I use Zoo med units and I also have a unit from REPTILE BASICS ...on one enclosure /tank I use aspen for a king snake with the UTh attached directly to the glass bottom....no thermostat/ dimmer and the king snake loves it. I am sure it is well over 95F on that hot spot. It’s been a long winter and I will have to measure temps again. For the Bull snakes and Pits I use a lower temps setting with the aide of a dimmer.

I also use a human heat / health pad for a large python but I guess it is an older unit because it never turns off ...that will be a sad day when it ceases to function...it also has a Lo-med-Hi setting...I have really liked using it.

The point is we all get creative and do things to make these items work regardless of the warnings from the manufacture.... my human heat pad was never meant to be on 24/7 but it is doing well for numerous years now. All the Zoo med units come with warnings too... I can add styrofoam or other insulation to buffer the temps or a simple lamp dimmer for 11.99 works great. I heed manufactures warnings for the most part...but I also love to rip the tag off the pillow ...LOL

Cp

03/08/11  06:31am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2208614

Undertank heaters work great with lamp dimmers. Dimmerwise, I prefer the simple plug-in kind that you don’t have to be a wiring genius to use. Where I live, Home Depot doesn’t have them, but Lowes does. Your neighborhood may vary. Just be aware, they’re often buried in the back-shelf archives. For a great problem-solving piece of technology that costs you a single-digit number of dollars, it’s worth being the stupid customer that has eighteen staff members trying to remember where they buried the things.

03/10/11  11:28pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area