Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Just Curious~   Cphill58   Just Curious~   Cphill58  
 Member  Message

Just Curious~
View Profile

What temp should a pacific gopher’s tank be kept at

Pretty much what the title says. I’m getting a pair in a couple of weeks.

What should the warm side be and what should the cool side be?

02/10/11  10:27pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2204235

The round about answer is 82-85 hot ...75-78 cool. That all depends on the size of the enclosure ...how deep the substrate and what other toys you have. UTH or light ... I also read that most gophers will like the cooler temps better and they love to hide in ABS pipe from the plumbing supply.

Just offer it a wide range of temps and more than 1 hide so it can choose. For example a UTH set up to 85F in a 20 L on one side will have a natural temp fall off every inch further away...make sure you have a lamp dimmer for the UTH or light that you choose so you can dial in the temps.

02/11/11  01:39am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2204275

Thank you!

It’s a 4’ x 2’ x 2’ enclosure, it’s got aspen substrate about 2-3 inches thick and a shelf that’s up on the wall about a little under half way up. I’m hoping to have a pipe go back down at an angle from one side of the shelf, but I don’t have that yet...I’m using a light for heat currently.

Does that change your estimates in any way?

Thanks again!

02/11/11  05:31pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2204385

Light will add a broad swath of warm air temps...unless it is a spot light. And the substrate will be cooler as you go deeper. So I prefer a UTh so belly heat comes from the bottom up...when I touch the wood / glass enclosure bottom I can feel the heat and measure it with a probe from an indoor / outdoor thermometer. If you need one of those they sell for about 10-12.00 at Wal mart / Target/ and pet stores.
indoor / outdoor
This allows you to measure 2 temps at 1 time... the body of the unit is the indoor ...the probe is the outdoor.....a press of the button gives you a hot side reading and a cold side , or vice versa...just where ever you place the probe is the second reading. Most folks use the probe for the hot side for accuracy.

I use my black 2" ABS flat on the ground ...about 20" or so and they lay inside all day...they love it.

Just get accurate measuring devices and you can tweak the light as you need....try to have enough humidity during shedding to allow the snake to keep moist in a plastic shoe box with a hole cut in it and some damp substrate. If you need pictures let me know...

Cp

02/12/11  01:22am

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area