Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Millinex   Greatballzofire   Millinex   Charlie_manson13  

Member  Message

Millinex
View Profile

Very aggressive pine.

I’m normally a monitor guy, so snakes in general are a "newer" thing to me per-say. This is my first Northern Pine. I picked her up from the local herp shop a couple weeks back shes about 6-7 feet. Handled her in store, and used her the same day for a presentation with a bunch of boy scouts who also took turns holding her throughout the 3 year session, she was extremely calm and I had no problems with this animal. I got her home and all set up in her new enclosure, plenty of heat and whatnot, and let her be for the first couple of days.
Went to change the water and noticed she was in shed, so I left her alone until she shed yesterday afternoon. Now, as soon as anyone so much as bumps the cage she hisses, rattles etc. Sits and strikes, shows no signs of backing down.

Just curious if any of you have had similar experiences and how you managed it? She stayed pissy throughout her shed when I would walk by but I thought maybe it was just shed, then maybe just cage aggression, but even after she’s hooked out she’s still very upset. Maybe it has to do with the close proximity to 2 large lizards/the smell of them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

12/03/10  03:58pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Millinex   In reference to Message Id: 2190782

Very aggressive pine.

Try moving her cage out of sight and smell of these large lizards. I am assuming these are monitor lizards. They do eat snakes, and she would have every right to fear them. When you do anything with her try to avoid having the scent of the lizards on your person.

12/03/10  09:35pm

Millinex
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2190856

Very aggressive pine.

Of course I do everything possible to eliminate the smells of the monitors, however they have access to the entire room, and moving them or the snake out of said room is not an option. Perhaps if I just give her time she will grow accustomed to this. I had a bullsnake for awhile in the same room as both monitors and he never showed any aggression or fear, I frequently would have the monitor running around while the snake sitting up on my desk with me while I was on the computer.

12/03/10  11:07pm

Charlie_manson13
View Profile

Message To: Millinex   In reference to Message Id: 2190875

Very aggressive pine.

The nature of the Pituophis Beast!! LOL! Just reach in quick, don’t hesitate and handle it. Bottom line, some can be unpredictable. Oh I do love them! If you let fear get to you and you are afraid of being bitten, you might as well as once again I said earlier get ya a corn snake of some kind. Much more laid back and docile. Man been bitten hundreds of times over last 40 years, it’s not a big deal, but may just not be the right snake for you.

04/21/17  06:27am

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area