Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Snakefoundme   Cphill58   Snakefoundme   Cphill58  
 Member  Message

Snakefoundme
View Profile

Information help

Hey,
I’m not planning on getting a bull, pine, or gopher snake at the moment since i just got another corn snake and I’m getting used to it. I’m wondering if anyone can provide me with information on these snakes that I wouldn’t find on the main information sites on the Internet. The information I’m looking for is just on Reproduction, Defensive, Locomotion, Feeding habits, Habitat(captive and non-captive), and color and pattern mutations. Any additional information will help too. This is not a project for school, it’s just an independent learning for a job i really want.
Thanks for your help,
Ben

10/07/10  01:49pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakefoundme   In reference to Message Id: 2179575

Information help

That’s a lot of info ??? I have a captive pair ...what can I tell you specifically??

Cp

10/11/10  08:25pm

Snakefoundme
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2180419

Information help

hey,
thank you for replying. Lets see, the main information i need is how you would care for the snakes daily and the precautions(not sure if that’s the right word) you would take in case the snake got a disease or how you would prevent it. If i think of any more i will post.... Thank you very much for your help.
Sincerely,
Ben

10/12/10  01:50pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakefoundme   In reference to Message Id: 2180628

Information help

Ben,

On a daily basis
I cage them according to size I prefer a 4 foot long enclosure but I have used smaller 3 foot units as they were growing up. I am fond of displaying them with glass front doors so I do not want the tupperware tubs and shelf systems although that work for breeding very well.

I read all I can about temps and natural conditions and use a combination of the results compared to nature and try to simulate that in the enclosure. I offer a hot spot of 88-92F on one side of the enclosure via an undertank heat pad. From that point the temps fall off and the snakes can go where they please.

I make sure they have fresh water at least every 4 days in a porcelain crock that they can actually curl up in ...they will soak on occasion. I also offer a shoe box sized tupperware filled with damp hay and moss when they are about to shed. They really like crawling in the small opening I cut out and sit there for days on end.

I feed as often as every 5 days sometimes the duration is longer as the snake is not willing to eat so anywhere from 1 week to 14 days is the norm.... in the winter I am prepared for the snake to stop eating for weeks at a time ...drives me crazy.

I raise rats for food and keep about a dozen snake species so I don’t have to worry about a food source. I pre kill anything that is large enough to injure the snake as rats can bite when they get larger.
I have fed frozen thawed also prior to my raisng rodents.

I do use a regular appliance 25 watt bulb to illuminate the interior of the enclosure. Some may prefer a night light that glows blue up to 50-75 watts depending on the required temps. To check and monitor the temps I prefer a PE-1 temp gun so I don’t need a bunch of measuring devices. This one unit measures anything I have and I carry it around in my pocket on the days I am checking and cleaning and watering.

I use a substrate that is commonly found in feed/ tack stores or pet supples such as aspen or pine. Many will argue that pine shavings are not good for a snake ...I am very paticular about the brand I use and it must be kiln dried and odor free. Otherwise I will not use it. In the future I might try some dry hay , but I don’t recommend experimenting just because I do. It’s most common to use aspen shavings.

So basically I monitor temps and eating habits ...writing those down on a 5x7 card so I have a record of who ate and what date and when a shed occurs.
Changing the water constantly
Spot cleaning the feces weekly
And 1x per 45-60 days I remove the substrate and change it out for new...whilst doing this I will wipe the inside of the enclosure down with hydrogen peroxide on paper towels. Then a damp towel rinse to remove any residue.

Let me know if i can answer anything else.

Cp

10/13/10  01:50am

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area