Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Imderrickjed   Cphill58   Imderrickjed  
 Member  Message

Imderrickjed
View Profile

Update on the bull and garters

Well its been over a year, maybe two at this point. The bull snakes and Garters are still getting along great! No issues at this point and all were wild. I think Ive concluded that these snakes can live together. One a living space note, they moved out of the curio cabinet. It was the perfect size, but didnt have the vents needed to keep from causing a smell. It was too nice to chop holes into and make vents so it had to go! They are now back in a reptile cage and because its twice as deep as the cabinet they are having a blast. Well I think they are anyway, its not like they talk to me. I was also able to add a larger pet water dish thats about 24x24 and they all four swim in it. Its about 5" deep so theres room.
I will add pics as soon as I can. Im still interested in your thoughts on not mixing these two snakes now that they have lived together for so long. Also talked to a lady at the zoo and she doesnt believe snakes want to attack other snakes. Im leaning this way too. It helps that they dont eat the same food. Still feeding the bulls mice and the garters worms and small fish. Any other foods for the bulls? Just something to give them a new taste? Im not spending 20.00 on a toad, but still like to hear my options.

09/15/10  12:33pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Imderrickjed   In reference to Message Id: 2175589

If the bull snake is large enough day old chicks or quail will be taken readily....
glad to hear everything is working out ....i never said it couldn’t be done , just thought the bull would eat the garter as i watched and read about your experiment.

I recently housed a rescue gopher with my bull and they get along just fine...large size difference too.

10/11/10  01:06am

Imderrickjed
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2180240

I think Im safe to say these two can live together. Ive been watching them closely and they get along fine. In fact there are times you see three of the four coiled up together. They are very interesting being two different kinds of snakes. Plus the bull snakes are much bigger the the garters. I talked to a couple people at a local zoo before doing this and they said it couldnt be done, but also had never tried or read facts either way. This is close to two years now and no issues at all.

10/14/10  01:47pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area