Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

MacGoddess   Greatballzofire   PCC_Jax   KatiiB  
 Member  Message

MacGoddess
View Profile

Baby in a bottle

A friend brought me this little guy last night. He found him in a friend’s yard inside a Gatorade bottle. I got him out of the bottle and was ready to put him in a plastic shoe box sized container. While I was holding him, he opened his mouth real wide, and for a few horrifying seconds, I thought it was sending something out after us, like an alien or something. Silly, I know. Turns out it regurgitated something that was almost as big and long as he is. I don’t know what it was, but it smelled awful. It must have eaten something and the stress of being moved around in the bottle perhaps caused it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might know if it is a garter and if so, what kind? They are so tiny, I wonder if it is a newborn. Should I wait 10 days or so before trying to feed him? I think the coloring is just beautiful.

08/12/10  10:00am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2168844

Baby in a bottle

Your baby is a California Red-Sided Garter Snake. Wait at least ten days then try feeding it something small.

08/13/10  07:44pm

PCC_Jax
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2168844

Baby in a bottle

Yupp! A very cute Cali Red Side Garter too. I never find Red Sided :( Just Santa Cruz Garters.

http://californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/t.e.terrestris.html

09/22/10  04:02am

KatiiB
View Profile

Message To: PCC_Jax   In reference to Message Id: 2176689

Baby in a bottle

probably barfed up an earthworm. Ive had that happen to me as a kid when my uncle would get me to get them all out of his shop!
He had this one super old scrap car laying in the back of the yard, and there would always be a giant ball of garters.. then his shop would be full of them!

- Kait

12/22/10  02:17pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area