Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Pathfinder   Greatballzofire   Pathfinder   Gopherdude   Greatballzofire   JackAsp   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Pathfinder
View Profile

Weight

I have a Sonaran gopher and was seeing some pics of some pines and s/d gophers and is mine supposed to be thick bodied like them. I have had him for years and he is 5’ easy and i have a bull snake that i got about 2 years ago and she is about 4’ if not that much. I am worried now that i have been underfeeding them and feel bad if i have been if some one could let me know i would appreciate it thx

08/05/10  10:20pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Pathfinder   In reference to Message Id: 2167425

Weight

If you are not feeding them enough they will let you know by being hungry all the time. It is easier to over feed in captivity. I have one Pacific gopher who weighs 710 grams and is over 52 inches long and is only two years old. Generally Sonorans don’t get real beefy, they are a slender snake. A healthy snake should be round without a ridged spine showing, and should seem satisfied after a feeding. One time I didn’t feed my female bull enough at one feeding and she tried to bite the floor of the feeding container! She could smell were the mice had been that she had just eaten and could not understand why there were not any more. I had to give her some more to satisfy her. They will let you know! LOL!

08/06/10  05:26pm

Pathfinder
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2167560

Weight

thx for the info

08/06/10  06:22pm

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: Pathfinder   In reference to Message Id: 2167573

Weight

In my experience, Sonoran’s are moderately stout in comparison to the rest of the gopher clan. Much more so in grassland, riparian or agricultural areas than low desert. Almost all of the low desert Sonorans appear to be underweight. Seems that they are not as active during the HOT months here and as a consequence, do not feed as much. They seem to feed in short bursts, during brief, seasonal periods of activity and then persist on stored reserves for longer periods.

My wild caught local, low desert Sonoran, feeds somewhat right after brumation, then spends about a month to 45 days "cruising". About May when it starts getting good and hot here, he feeds like there is no tomorrow for a good solid three months and then shows no interest in any F/T whatsoever. He will take birds and wild caught local rodent fare during the late summer to an extent and then he is done until the following spring.

The upshot is that I feed him all he wants during his active periods which amounts to one smallish rat every five days. He’s a tad over four feet by the way.. Here are some recent pics...

08/06/10  08:33pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2167602

Weight

Now that’s what a healthy Sonoran should look like!
Here is my Pacific gopher Gonzo at 722 grams. She will be two years old on August 24th.

I have a pair of Pacifics born in October of 08 that are about half her size (male is 432 grams and female is 308 grams), but are none the less healthy snakes. How big they get and how fast they grow is extremely dependent upon how much they like to eat. Gonzo eats all winter while the others like to take the winter off.

08/07/10  09:43pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2167786

Weight

She is GORGEOUS! Half of me wants to hook her up with Winkle, and the other half wants to marry her myself!
Is.. that...
wrong?

08/08/10  12:38am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2167809

Weight

Quote:

She is GORGEOUS! Half of me wants to hook her up with Winkle, and the other half wants to marry her myself!
Is.. that...
wrong?

Thanks for the magnificent compliment! We are blushing!
Winkle is a bull snake isn’t he. That would be interesting to mate a Pacific with. You, on the other hand, being a human being, who knows what weird hybrid we would get! A Pazuzu! LOL!

Pazuzu!

The above snake is somebody else’s the owner had named sexy Rex. I thought this was such a pretty Pacific gopher I saved the picture from the other site, forget what site it was. But even Sexy Rex does not have the pretty buttery gold coloring Gonzo has. I have a striped Pacific male I eventually plan to breed with her; he is a rich rusty red. The problem is the red male is an 09 baby and only weighs about 30 grams! It will be YEARS if ever if he ever gets big enough to take her on...LOL!

My little him, Zorro. He is my smallest snake, even smaller than my 09 pyros. He just does not eat a lot.
Fortunately I do have another more suitable mate size wise for her :

Lorenzo and his sister Zumbida this spring. They are a lot bigger now, he weighs 432 grams and she weighs 308 grams now. He is the one on the left. He is a little brighter color with moor red than she is. She is more brown.
Lorenzo and Gonzo would make nice babies with mellow dispositions. Their personalities are more bull snake than Pacific gopher Both are hand feeders and very tame.

08/08/10  07:38pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area