Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

JackAsp   JC50   Greatballzofire   Imderrickjed   Greatballzofire   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

JackAsp
View Profile

Why I love Pits

I got a little drunk and stupid last night. Opened up Winkle’s cage to play with him, because he was acting restless, but he didn’t want to come out right away. So I figured I’d give him a few minutes, then got distracted and forgot the cage was open, then went to sleep and left it open all night. Since he’s usually asleep shortly after his light clicks off, I don’t know for sure if he actually escaped last night or if he got out while making his early morning perimeter-rounds. I do know that I woke up around ten o’clock and there was no sign of him. I checked under the bed, in the closets, under laundry, on bookshelves, behind bokshelves, behind furniture, under fuurniture... all the usual pretty obvious places, but after about five minutes I was running out of good ideas, so I figured, hey, it’s my day off, might as well just stay home and wait him out. The room temperature this time of year is plenty warm for him, aqnd he’s a very active, curious animal, plus he’s friggin’ HUGE, so I figured it wouldn’t be long before I either saw him or heard him. He pooped yesterday and hasn’t eaten yet, so stinking up the carpet wasn’t a danger, my only real concern was that if I went some place he might knock over a lizard-light or something.

So I sat down at the computer, opened up Google maps, and started figuring out a few bike routes that I wanted to take once I actually did leave. By 11:30, there was a bullsnake slithering right past me!

This is the second time I’ve had a Pit get out. Back when my male pine McBain was a baby, many years ago, he stayed hidden from me for three weeks, but once he got hungry/thirsty enough he came back and sat on top of his tub waiting for me to put him back in and feed him. He was so small I might have gone right past him repeatedly without even noticing. Hell, even my cat didn’t seem to be getting any signs of him. But, he came home anyway all on his own. Which, at the time, completely amazed me!

If Winkle were a ball python or something, he would have found himself a nice hiding place last night/this morning and stayed there playing hide-and-seek until FINALLY I actually guessed where he was. But he just isn’t one to stay in one place all day, though. He likes to hide, sure, they all do, but it’s more of a "Now I want to be here, no, wait, now I want to rest over here, then over here..." more like a cat amusing itself than like something that’s honestly concerned with whether you can see it or not. The same personality that makes him such a perfect display animal also makes him a lot easier to find if something like this happens.

07/22/10  09:11pm

JC50
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2164458

Why I love Pits

reading these stories only makes me glad i decided to get the three i just picked up recently.They sound like fun snakes to keep.

07/22/10  10:37pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2164458

Why I love Pits

It’s fortunate he didn’t go outdoors! My bull snake Alfonzo out out of a stupid Critter Keeper while I was feeding him but I found him right away.
Link
Another escapee this summer, quickly recovered:
Link
When they get outside they seem to not know what to do next, unlike my Cali king, who has disappeared forever! The one thing they both sought out was a cool spot in the summer heat. Maybe next time Winkle gets out you could put a big tub of water on the floor and see if that would appeal to him.

07/23/10  09:33am

Imderrickjed
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2164547

Why I love Pits

Bully got out a couple times. Hes been pretty easy to find because like you said they are active. We found Bully the first time poking his head out of our ceiling. We are doing some remodeling and he was able to climb a cabinet and make him way into a lowered drywall ceiling. While my daughter was eating dinner he came out to see what was going on. Hes not shy so I wasn’t worried about losing him. we have also found him in a box and sleeping in a shirt that fell behind a couch.

07/30/10  12:27pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Imderrickjed   In reference to Message Id: 2165929

Why I love Pits

Quote:

We found Bully the first time poking his head out of our ceiling.

I are Ceiling Snake! LOL! ( closely related to Ceiling Cat)

07/30/10  05:20pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2165993

Why I love Pits

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I got that joke.

07/31/10  10:15pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area