Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

JC50   Greatballzofire   JC50   JackAsp   Greatballzofire   Imderrickjed   Greatballzofire   Imderrickjed   Greatballzofire   JC50   Greatballzofire   JC50   Ty123   JC50  
 Member  Message

JC50
View Profile

Aggresive Gopher Snake

I recently picked up two young Gopher snakes at a show,one male and one female.The male snake used to be very calm and did not mind being handled at all until a couple of days ago and now all he does is hiss and strike every time i even go near his enclosure let alone try to take him out.I also noticed that he will not kill his food and eat it right away like the female does,but will instead hiss at the mouse and strike at it for about ten minutes, then constrict it and leave it for another five minutes before actually eating it.These are the first Gopher snakes i have owned so i was wondering if this is somewhat normal behavior for these snakes or this guy might be exhibiting some odd behavior.

07/20/10  07:22am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JC50   In reference to Message Id: 2163725

Aggresive Gopher Snake

How big are these snakes and how big are the live mice that you are feeding them? Anything bigger than a fuzzie mouse can bite the snake, and make the snake leery of eating live. Prekill the mouse first so it can’t bite your snake.
If he went from being calm to being sort of freaked out I am guessing he may have gotten nipped.

I have a couple of young hissy spitters but I handle them anyway, gently and firmly, to show them I am not going to eat them and they can relax. Young pituophis do tend to be hissy but as they get older with gentle handling they mellow out.

07/20/10  08:00pm

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2163917

Aggresive Gopher Snake

The snakes are young and about a foot and a half long.The mice are small ones but not pinkies so i might try pre killing them on the next feeding to see if it makes a difference in the males behavior.I have other snakes and do not feed them anything live because i do not want then to get bit,but these are my first gopher snakes and i was told that they preferred live food to pre killed.I know they can and will be somewhat skittish while young and tend to hiss but this guy likes to bite as well.I will try killing the mice first and see if he starts to calm down some.I appreciate your time and suggestions and will let you know how it works.Thanks.

07/21/10  12:40am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JC50   In reference to Message Id: 2163989

Aggresive Gopher Snake

Has the room temperature changed? Sometimes when it hits the mid-eighties with no cool-down option they get a bit emotional.

07/21/10  02:35am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2164010

Aggresive Gopher Snake

I forgot about the Summer weather causing irritability! I give all my snakes big water bowls they can get into to cool off during hot spells.

Water bowl nestled in aluminum pan with moss. The snakes tend to slop the water out and the pan with moss prevents the water from getting the aspen wet. Guzmano here is obviously not a gopher snake (LOL!) but he does love his water bowl on hot days. Besides getting in the bowl they like to lay in the moist moss. A heavy ceramic bowl works best to provide a cool object to lay next to or in. You can refresh the water frequently to keep it cool.

07/21/10  09:17am

Imderrickjed
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2164047

Aggressive Gopher Snake

Let him bite you a few times. I have always handled wild animals. I don’t like the broken store bought ones. everything Ive ever had tames down fast. If they are aggressive I like to show them they cant hurt me. Those snakes cant kill you, but its a nice pinch! Anyway this has worked with bats, possums, rats, mice and even raccoons. I don’t know that climate change has ever upset any of my animals, but I guess it could. I get grumpy if the Airs not on when I get home. There’s also the chance that your snake is sick. If its not feeling good he could be trying to say leave me alone. PS for those who have never had a pet bat their faces look like a dog.I have some pictures of my last one. They love tuna and will sleep curled up in your hand. I always wondered who made the list of what we can and cant call a pet.

07/21/10  01:49pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Imderrickjed   In reference to Message Id: 2164136

Aggressive Gopher Snake

Quote:

Anyway this has worked with bats, possums, rats, mice and even raccoons.

Rabies is endemic in raccoons and bats. They can be infected and not be showing symptoms when they bite you but still infect you as well. Possums just have an incredible set of teeth and can lay on a severe bite. I have been bitten by rats and mice (domestic, not wild) and that draws blood, too. A little gopher snake can even lay on a painful pinch and draw blood although not nearly on the scale of an angry raccoon! And you can’t get rabies from a snake!

07/21/10  09:23pm

Imderrickjed
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2164245

Aggressive Gopher Snake

I do love the fact that when anyone talks about some wild animals rabies comes up as the worst case. There are far worse things. Anyway Ive grown up with animals. My aunt was in charge of the lions and some other animals in our town when I was younger. I guess having grown up around them and really getting a first hand account and not going by what you hear or read I’m more use to them. Yes rabies is bad, then again so is anything that kills animals. Depending where you live you may go your whole life without running into an infected animal. We just set free a possum last night. He did the whole scary thing showing his teeth and so on, but they are not fighters. They don’t attack, in most cases. I had to push him softly just to get him moving in the right direction. I have so many pictures of the animals Ive been around. Lets just share some facts an not be so scared because Bats and other animals can carry rabies. Its thinks like rumors that lead to people believing that bats are blind and daddy long legs are the most poisons spiders, but there mouths are too small to bike you (or something like that). I’m no "expert", but I’m 38 and have been dealing with wild animals for 30 years. If you know what your doing and really care about animals its a great thing. Maybe that’s why I go over board with setting up homes for my snakes, frogs and lizards. I want them, but I want then to be happy as they can be stuck inside a cage. We are all just care givers for these animals. :)

07/22/10  09:25am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Imderrickjed   In reference to Message Id: 2164325

Aggressive Gopher Snake

I am not going by rumors or sensationalism when I mention rabies. I have personally had to deal with rabid raccoons, skunks and bats. I would exercise extreme caution when handling these wild animals. I frequently have to humanely trap and remove to a remote location raccoons and skunks, as they come in the yard looking for food even though we bring the cat food in every night. If I see these animals out and about during the day acting weird, I have to shoot them.

07/22/10  09:53am

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2164335

Aggressive Gopher Snake

Extreme caution should be exercised when handling any animal especially wild ones but many years of experience doing so gives a person knowledge and an edge that the average handler might not have.
That said i have let my snake bite me to show him that it will not deter me from handling him so i guess time will be the true test.

07/22/10  03:30pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JC50   In reference to Message Id: 2164398

Aggressive Gopher Snake

A little bite now is better than a big bite later! LOL!

07/22/10  06:09pm

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2164435

Aggressive Gopher Snake

lol.you got that right.

07/22/10  10:20pm

Ty123
View Profile

Message To: JC50   In reference to Message Id: 2163725

Aggresive Gopher Snake

Will you let me by them from you for a low cost under $30.

07/28/10  03:27pm

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Ty123   In reference to Message Id: 2165530

Aggresive Gopher Snake

I do not know if this question is directed to me but i have no desire to sell them to anyone.I was simply inquiring about possible traits they may display because i was new to owning Gopher snakes but purchased them because of their no nonsense dispositions and have found that you can read all the information you want concerning any animal,but the best information obtained comes from actual owners.Besides.Your profile lists you living in the UK and shipping any animals is probably prohibited and if allowed would be very expensive.

07/28/10  06:06pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area