Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Greatballzofire   JackAsp   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Escapee!

Alfonzo the yearling bull snake managed to pop the lid off the Critter Keeper I was feeding him in, and when I came back in after doing the mouse tub washing chore (a couple hours later) he was not in the Keeper! Again with searching all around in the ivy (my big Pacific Gonzo had escaped a few weeks ago and was found in the ivy), and around the house foundations, to no avail. Then I thought of looking out by the swimming pool area, and sure enough, there he was under the wooden pool platform!

Here he is with this small platform in the background. Once again I feel incredibly lucky! He was coiled under there and seemed rather surprised when I found him.

Those Critter Keepers are not any good for keeping a strong determined snake in, or a mouse that gnaws; I think I could maybe keep a little lizard in one, that’s about it.

07/06/10  08:04pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2160827

Escapee!

Tell your watch-cats they suck at their job.
Winkle might like to visit your pool area too. It’s been over 90 here for several days now. I’ve turned off eveybody’s heat/light except for the turtle and the collard lizards, and I’m going ice-crazy in everybody’s water. Actually, come to think of it, Winkle already HAS a nice cool water area to climb into. I’M gonna go jump in your pool!

07/08/10  08:49pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2161230

Escapee!

When we bought our rural property in 1994 the very first thing we did was go to Walmart and buy an above ground pool. That summer we had all sorts of triple digit weather but survived by floating around in our pool. We erected a Thor tarp (heavy duty...blocks all the sun) over the pool area so the water stays cool and we don’t have to get sunburnt. After a number of years the original pool died of old age and we replaced it with a new larger one.

To the left of the pool platform in deep shade is a little pond for the tree frogs to hatch out in; every spring when I change the water I have to rescue the tadpoles with the pool skimmer and put them in their own tub to finish up. They are starting to develop legs now and soon will be froglets.

The pool is an absolutely essential piece of equipment for surviving California summers! I have given Alfonzo a nice big casserole dish for his own personal pool. So he doesn’t even have to leave home to cool off. All my snakes have large water bowls they can totally fit in, although Gonzo is 52 inches long now and in danger of swamping her casserole dish!

07/08/10  10:36pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area