Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Gus308   Greatballzofire   Gus308   Gus308   Gopherdude   Gopherdude   Gopherdude   JackAsp   Gus308   Concolor1  
 Member  Message

Gus308
View Profile

Feeding Hatchlings

I found a Great Basin Gopher the other day out working and I believe it’s only about a week and a half old. Anyhow, I was wondering what he should be fed until he is big enough for pinkies, because I honestly don’t think he could handle a pinkie mouse, as they are a bit bigger around than he is at the largest part. He’s only around 15" long, so he’s a little feller.

Any help would be great,

~Gus

P.S. The reason I brought him home was that he was stuck in an irrigation clamp and was having trouble with mobility when I got him out (neck injury I believe, recovering well though), he will be getting released after I’m convinced he’s 100%. So please, this is not the place for the "Squirrel in a Shoe-box" speech (No offense I agree, I generally don’t keep wild-caughts and all my herps are in obnoxiously over-sized vivariums).

Thanks again,

~Gus

07/03/10  02:51pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Gus308   In reference to Message Id: 2160166

Feeding Hatchlings

He should be able to handle a newborn pink. That’s what I feed my baby gopher snakes, and they are able to eat those just fine. Be careful to not overfeed him, though, as pituophis tend to have eyes bigger than their stomachs and might regurge if the meal is too much at one time. One pink per feeding for awhile, then as he grows up the amount.

A baby gopher snake I found this spring while weed whacking. I kept her for awhile, then released her at my friend’s place, which is plagued with gophers. She did fine on pinks.

07/03/10  07:35pm

Gus308
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2160213

Feeding Hatchlings

That one there is significantly bigger than mine. I’ll post pictures in a bit.

~Gus

07/03/10  11:15pm

Gus308
View Profile

Message To: Gus308   In reference to Message Id: 2160166

Feeding Hatchlings

Here he is.

~Gus

07/03/10  11:43pm

Gopherdude
View Profile

Message To: Gus308   In reference to Message Id: 2160262

Feeding Hatchlings

That snake will not have any issues putting down pinks. I’ve seen SD’s smaller that that put away fuzzies...

07/04/10  12:05am

Gopherdude
View Profile

Feeding Hatchlings

Here’s a month old (09) SD heavy with fuzz. Now as a yearling, she’s nearly 30" long and growing fast...

07/04/10  12:55am

Gopherdude
View Profile

Feeding Hatchlings

Here’s my 08 GB heavy with fuzz. To be truthful, he was nearly two months old at the time (nearly 4 feet now).

Then...

Now...

07/04/10  01:01am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Gopherdude   In reference to Message Id: 2160277

Feeding Hatchlings

I know how you feel, they never look big enough. But the good news is: thye don’t know that yet! The only ones that worry are us.
Remember:
1. Snakes are built to swallow big things.
2. A baby snake’s eating mechanisms are even more elastic than an older snake’s.
3. Rodents are built to squeeze into tiny places.
4. Pinkies and fuzzies are even softer and more elastic than older mice,
and, most gruesomely of all,
5. Pinkies and fuzzies have such soft skeletons that they can actually crush and break a bit if it helps them go down easier. It certainly speeds digestion once they’re in there!

07/04/10  02:01am

Gus308
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2160281

Feeding Hatchlings

Well, thank you. I am more of a lizard guy, I’ve had between two and five lizards almost continuously for several years, but this is only maybe the third or forth snake I have kept. I’ve only kept some natives for a couple days to a week at a time, and I have a young boa constrictor, but that is the extent of my snake experience.

Thanks again,

~Gus

07/04/10  08:19am

Concolor1
View Profile

Message To: Gus308   In reference to Message Id: 2160293

This Will Be a Good Beginner Snake for You...

I have two GB gophers, one was wild-caught down the street here two years ago, and I purchased the other as a hatchling the size of yours.

Both have excellent appetites, and I need to put the smaller snake in larger quarters as soon as finances permit.

At a year-and-a-half, the "former hatchling" can easily handle a newly weaned mouse or two, or a couple of fuzzies (I feed both live and frozen depending on what’s in my larder).

The WC snake was about the same size when I got it, and it was literally the size of a tennis ball when I found it (in a park near some houses, which was why I brought it home). I put it in a warm cage with a dish and plenty of substrate, and it promptly went into shed after digesting the huge meal (which was probably a half-grown gopher or a fledgling of some sort like a quail).

You can read my posts on the subject below about how I dealt with a hunger strike. Right now, though, this snake and my big Texas bull are letting me know the mice I gave them a week ago weren’t enough...

Only thing I can add is make sure the cage is secure . . . I’m cussing myself over yet another young corn snake I allowed to escape . . .

07/06/10  03:16pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area