Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Dragman   Greatballzofire   JackAsp   Dragman   JackAsp   JackAsp   Dragman   Lovin2act  
 Member  Message

Dragman
View Profile

6 FOOT GOPHER!

Ok so yesterday i was hiking around the park and i found this 6 ft gopher half way in the grass so i grabbed it didnt hiss or any thing and took it home. So when i got home i measured it it was 6’ 8’’ this sucker is huge! I love him though cause he is a awsome snake and ive fed him and he has ate so im gonna keep him hes in a 40g tank i think, but he can strech in it so i think he likes it!

06/15/10  12:59pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Dragman   In reference to Message Id: 2155975

6 FOOT GOPHER!

Pics please!

06/15/10  07:41pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2156088

6 FOOT GOPHER!

If he’s 80 inches long, he can not stretch in a 36-48" (depending on what style of 40) cage. By the way it doesn’t help if it’s the 48" version, because those only have 4 feet of floor space. The shorter, wider ones have 4.5 square feet, but unfortunately, they’re still a 4’ tank. Don’t get too excited about him eating. Wildcaught bulls tend to be like convicts. Even if they don’t like the place, they’ll probably still eat and mate.

For an average 5-6 footer, a 4X2 cage is good. My captive-bred one’s behavior changed when he was a little over 5 feet and told me he wasn’t quite as content any more in a 48X21, so I upgraded him to 74X39, which works fine. He’s about the length of your guy and is still fine with it. The thing is, though, even when he was stressing, he was still, by most people’s standards, doing great. Me personally, I’d watched him grow up, knew that his behavior was getting more agitated, and take "eating" as a given with him, so it was more a matter of knowing what actual contented bull snake behaviotr looks like and saying "No, this doesn’t really look like that any more, even though he still eats like a pig...)

They’re very active snakes and if you give them a cage longer than themselves they’ll use it, but there’s room to cheat. A lot of people suggest the 2/3 X1/3 rule as a minimum. There’s even a repiratory health argument for that, due to the positioning needed to breathe when fighting off certain illnesses. I think my own sugested minimum might be more like 3/4 X1/3, at least for display setups. A 40-gallon plastic tub (easier to get thermal gradients in than glass) may work for breeding racks, but even then not the best for a wildcaught specimen as big as we’re talking about.

These guys aren’t some pantywaist hidebox-dwelling ball python. Bigger IS better. Not only for you to see a great range of activity long past the "getting used to the cage" stage, but you have a lot more stuff you can do with cage props (check out some our threads about ferret tunnels, for example), and... these last two things are seperate pluses, but they’re related.

One is that while bulls do best if they aren’t constantly as warm as a lot of other snakes that live in the same areas they do (I keep mine in a 260-gallon nylon mesh Reptarium,so I can keep him cooler than most of my pets, which is quite the opposite of my western hognose’s preference, for example,) they still need to warm up briefly for certain metabolic functions, especially in the morning. I’m not sure a forty even provides a 70-75 degree floor spot as big as your snake, plus a hot spot that’s ALSO as big as your snake, and still has room for anything else. Odds are there’s too much heat spreading through the highly conductive glass into the cool end, stressing his metabolism.

And the other thing is that with a big cool cage AND an appropriate-sized warm area... there can be a cleaning benefit. My own bull, Winkle, sleeps in either his ferret tubes or his cool-end hide, except sometimes during the winter if the room gets chilly. In the morning, he goes into a warm-end hide, heats up, and then spends the rest of the day everywhere except the warm end. And if he has to go to the bathroom that day, he drops it off on his way out, lifting his tail to stay clean, and I can tell from the smell that I need to clean that area. But if he does it while I’m at work, no big deal, because he won’t evben want to go in there until the next morning anyway, so it can wait until I come home that night. (Actually, those cleanings are easier, because the undertank heater dries the poop out and makes it easier to handle.) He’s a very clean animal... but only because he has the option.

06/16/10  01:07am

Dragman
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2156157

6 FOOT GOPHER!

2 things

1: its more wide then tall so he can easily strech out

2: if u dont think the cage is big enough go buy me one then cause right now at THIS moment i aint got no money cause im gonna be straight up with u not be mean or a smiley but honestly this is why i dont use this forum i try to say nice things but then ppl like u gotta ruin it and make me get serious ok.

06/16/10  01:32am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Dragman   In reference to Message Id: 2156159

6 FOOT GOPHER!

Honestly wasn’t attacking you originally, just got long-winded trying to clarify what I was saying because I didn’t think "Jack-Man say 40 tank bad!" would come clarify WHY I thought that. Anyhoo... that is a serioulsy... interesting reaction. I mistook a thread about a captive bullsnake on a forum about bullsnake herpetoculture for, oh, I don’t know, something a little beyond "Dude! Praise me because I have a big snake! " It’s real nice that you got a big snake for free that was fine before you found him and which you now have in a little fish tank (for those keeping track in the peanut gallery, the 40 gallon breeder tank he speaks of has a length of 36" and a hypotenous of 40 inches) because you’re.. if I understand this argument correctly.. too poor to walk outside and let it go. Or to hock the tank and buy a plastic Xmas tree tub, which at least conducts floor heat less and allows more temp control. Because your evil monocled boss is forcing the snake to toil away in the coal mines with you.

By the way, the next paragraph isn’t "OMG YOU FOUND A SNAKES? LOL LOL LOL" so if you don’t want to get serious that’s fine. Nothing to see there, it’s all about how rich boring adults do things.

This is a single-income household. I’m it, and in 6 days I pull in about a grande and half a month. No inheritances, no public assistance, no loans, no credit cards, just that. Ohio is not a great place for either rent or taxes, but the bills get paid (okay, sometimes; I admit I do the utility bill shuffle quite a bit,) the pets get taken care of, and I generally deal with suggestions of new pets with "Can’t afford it, even if they’re offering it for free." Or occasionally, "Okay, seemed like a good idea, but can I afford what I’m hearing what it’s going to need in the long term?" (The OP, of course, is doing GREAT! But back to me..) I’ve got this trick I do when I need to find a way to rig up more room for something and really do not want to give it up, but the money just isn’t there for conventional solutions. I stretch. I’ve found many people here on these forums who have helped with such stretching. Me personally, being a mere peasant who doesn’t get to go through life saying "Stop chilling my buzz by talking about future plans, you fascist!", I have an unfair advantage, because I can actually learn from people, sometimes even if they and I don’t actually like each other. It’s really no fun at all. Come to think of it, I hate being a grownup. I’m gonna go trap a squirrel in a sweater box, and if anybody doesn’t it like then they have to buy me a bigger cage. Also, I want ice cream.

06/16/10  04:07am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2156169

6 FOOT GOPHER!

3 real short, non-sarcastic things, and then I’ll shut up for the night and we can both chill.
One: Yes, I noticed that I typoed "Bullsnake" when you clearly stated he was a gopher. I doubt that significantly changes anything; gophers to stetch around as much as my bull, but.. mistake noted.
Two.... if he just ate, then I wouldn’t suggest recaging him this week anyway even if I had my sleigh gassed up to drop a new cage off there right now.
Three, really, not looking to go to war, just, as I said toward the beginning of the second ramble, like to explain rather than just blurt. But when someone seems to get mad over simply disagreeing, rather than explaining their own perception clearly, for example, what they mean by "stretching," or whatever, I can really easily write them off and go into plain old argument mode way too easily, because it is, unfortunately, fun, especially when one is finally off work the next day. Still a bad habit, and doesn’t really lead to anything productive.

06/16/10  04:30am

Dragman
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2156173

6 FOOT GOPHER!

ok fine then well drop it cause i can go for ever too and wasnt trying hrd to point out it was a gopher just got use to saying that. and ya i get in 6 days thats why i said not RIGHT now. so we can either be cool or put up the dukes cause im ready for a fight havnt had one in a while but like u said it is fun? so its ur choice now that uve given me a explaination and ive given u one.

06/16/10  05:12pm

Lovin2act
View Profile

Message To: Dragman   In reference to Message Id: 2156306

6 FOOT GOPHER!

I bet he is stoked to have made it his whole life free to do as he pleases and now be in a cage! How awesome are you to give him this opportunity! You big fighter you.

06/17/10  01:24pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area