Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

PCC_Jax   Greatballzofire   PCC_Jax  
 Member  Message

PCC_Jax
View Profile

New Adult Pacific Gopher Snake(?)

Our new Pacific Gopher ( Pretty sure) I was wondering about things to watch out for. My girlfriend and i are new to snake keeping so advice and tips would be great! We found this guy at A baseball park and decided he was too awesome. He’s the friendliest guy, ~3 1/2 feet im guessing.

We got his enclosure all set up, 2 hides and a nice little pool, the Substrate is Aspen, we were told that was best. We have a heating pad underneath one of his hides ( The one he seems to prefer). Also right now he has a lamp over it as well, since the enclosure hasn’t completely warmed up yet and is ~70 degrees.

I was wondering if things like scented candles / Spray deoderant could harm him (Not burnt by his enclosure or sprayed too close, but in the same room).

We tried feeding him on Day1, he was un-interested. is there any way to tell if he has eaten recently or not? He took a nice healthy poop when we first caught him. He’s a very trusting little guy and real personable. Im sure nothing is wrong i just want it all to be set up correctly for him. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

05/23/10  04:00pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: PCC_Jax   In reference to Message Id: 2149942

Congrats on your handsome new Pacific gopher!
Usually these snakes defecate four to seven days after eating. A snake his size may want to eat every ten days. He will likely need prekilled adult mice. He may not want to eat frozen-thawed. You need to kill the live mouse first so it doesn’t bite him. He may take a while to adjust to captivity, as well. I usually get the wild caught gophers to eat live pinks or fuzzies by day two, but then I’ve never gotten a gopher as big as yours, just little babies.

The scented candles and spray deodorant may really bother him, as snakes rely heavily upon their sense of smell to know their world. Their tongue is actually their olfactory organ. Instead of relying on air fresheners just remove the source of whatever stink you are trying to mask.

His enclosure should be long enough that he can stretch out in it.

05/23/10  06:42pm

PCC_Jax
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2149997

Thanks so much man! I’m always worrying i may forget something, so some outside advice/feedback is really priceless. Candles are gone and ill deodorize before work in the bathroom instead.

Here’s his current setup. The Heat Pad is underneath the White Hide. Which is under the lamp... Sorry for the crappy Quality.

05/23/10  08:50pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area