Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Greatballzofire   MacGoddess   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Herping With Weed Whacker

A little female Pacific gopher snake I found while weed whacking the tall grass at my friend’s house. I was doing a sloped area which is fairly steep, and on the downswing lopped off a big tuft of grass over a gopher mound, and this little snake came boiling out of the grass desperate to escape. I captured her unharmed. After that I proceeded more cautiously, as my friend’s back yard is the Gopher Hilton, and I didn’t want to take a chance on hitting any snakes with the weed whacker.

This year there seems to be a lot more gopher snakes than usual. Also a lot more gophers. I guess this is one of these cyclical things.

05/02/10  08:10pm

MacGoddess
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2144980

She looks so much like my Pacific gopher girl snake. I am so envious that you keep finding these little treasures, I keep hoping I will find another one too. Do you plan on keeping her? If you keep this up, your snakes are going to eat you out of mouse and home! * giggle *

05/04/10  11:20pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2145411

She has eaten twice now, and has settled into a life of captivity quite well. When I took her out of her cage to feed her today she was a little hissy because I had to root around in the deep aspen to find her, but once I had her in hand and put her in the feeding jar she calmed right down. I have named her Zina. It is a foregone conclusion that once I name a creature I will wind up keeping it! LOL!

I have plenty of mice so everyone will eat for the foreseeable future. Between my two mouse customers and my 20 assorted snakes, I am not burdened with a mouse surplus like last year. I’m feeding out the frozen thawed I put away last year to the majority of my snakes that will eat fts.

05/06/10  08:41pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area