Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Greatballzofire   JackAsp   MacGoddess   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   JackAsp   JackAsp   Greatballzofire   JackAsp   Greatballzofire   JackAsp   Zerovenom   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Snake Tunnel

I joined a pair of 105 quart Sterilite tubs together to give my pair of sub adult gophers more room.

Checking it out:

I used new RV sewer hose and fittings, and cut round holes with my Dremel tool to accommodate the fittings which press fit snugly in place.

03/26/10  10:44pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2136375

Snake Tunnel

Hilarious! Those are gonna be some good, spoiled snakes.

03/27/10  02:20am

MacGoddess
View Profile

Snake Tunnel

What a great idea! Your snakes are very fortunate to have you for their creative and considerate doting papa.

03/27/10  05:04am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2136410

Snake Tunnel

Thanks, guys!
I was wanting to use the ferret tube JackAsp had posted a lik to, but am trying to not add anymore charges to my credit card (have to pay it off every month or face Draconian fees!) so I went with the RV tubing. Also the Rv tubing fits on the fittings very tightly.

Can you tell me what is the inside diameter of the Ferret Fun Tube from Link
It needs to be able to fit on fittings to work. Are there fittings to join two long pieces of Ferret tubing together?

03/28/10  11:33am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2136659

Snake Tunnel

Nevermind, I found that it is Size:
4”DIA, expands 2’ – 20’
So I would need to get 4 inch fittings to join the ends to the tubs. Suppose I could get that at a hardware store in the plumbing dept.

03/28/10  11:49am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2136663

Snake Tunnel

Only thing is... the 4" thing might vary a littel, as far as what part they’re talking about... kind of like with bullet calibers. Do the ferret people mean the end itself is 4 inches, or the thinnest part of the flexitube is 4 inches, or the THICKEST part of the flexitube.. they do sell connecters for ferret stuff, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they’d decided to skew things a fraction of an inch off just so you have to buy your upgrades from them.
I’ll tell you what, though. A few weeks ago I bought the 25-foot model than MacGoddess found on ebay. At first I didn’t put it in the cage because of Winke’s eye, then I just had other things to do so I held off until I could figure out exactly how I wanted to set it up. So there’s no reason for me not to just carry it into Home Depot and see if standard 4" plumber’s fittings are compatible with it.

03/29/10  10:16pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2137065

Snake Tunnel

Turned out the cheap alternative is really just a giant slinky with clear latex over it. There’s no way to click anything solidly to the end. I wound it around in his tank anyway to see if he’d enjoy it, but it doesn’t really connect physically with either plumber’s fitings or crittertrail fittings. The more expensive tubes don’t work with anyone else’s connectors. Plumbing is thicker plastic than ferret tubes, so the fitting for a heavy pipe with a 4" inner diameter has to be heavier than for a lighter tube that has the same inner diameter.

03/31/10  07:05pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2137585

Snake Tunnel

Thanks for the info. Although the RV sewer hose is black (also comes in brown and green) it is very durable and does fit snugly over the appropriate fittings. When one first opens the box it comes in it is necessary to let the hose air out for a day or so as it has a plastic chemical odor, but that disperses quickly and does not bother the snakes.

After I got the tubs joined together I put the snakes back in their respective tubs, and a couple of days later Zumbida was back with her brother Lorenzo. They really do seem to like to be together.

04/01/10  11:14am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2137747

Snake Tunnel

Be careful about that, if you don’t want a whole clutch full of little banjo-playing flipperbabies. (Not like you could even blame him- his sister is hot!)
My new stuff has that heavy latex odor as well. I put it in yesterday after I fed him, and this morninng he gave it a few run-throughs, so I guess the smell wasn’t as issue. However, I dislike both the lack of compatibility with attachments AND the lack of ventilation. Not a big fan of the crinkly semi-clear color, either. It’s not too bad to use if I have it anyway, but next I’m going to try that other brand, that comes in the 20-foot size.

04/02/10  02:13am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2137870

Snake Tunnel

Will the ferret tubing slip over a plumber’s fitting like the RV sewer hose does?
I have decided against using anything transparent outside the snakes’ cages as the cats might find a snake crawling through a see through tube most intriguing!

04/02/10  09:47pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2138022

Snake Tunnel

Oh, yikes. I forgot about the cats! Yeah, the plumer’s stuff is probably best for outside the tubs. Even a critter keeper clamp won’t hold if one of the cats decides to hop up on a tube and look at it from above. The cheap clear stuff is terrible for your purpose... I have mixed feelings about for mine. I think it’s great that it’s available, to experiment with what arangements will inspire the most interesting somewhat-natural behaviors without nhaving to spend half a week’s pay decorating a snake cage, but a cqt would without question open it up eventually even if they were declawed and there was no snake involved! Eve see one go to town shewing on bubblr-wrap or crinkly plastic grocery bags? The cat would make some fang-holes, and the internal slinky-frame would not stop the snake from working the hole bigger and escaping.
The only fittings I tried were ones that fit around the pipe, rather than inside it. So... maybe.
You know what’s funny? Winkle was climbing aroud better today than he has since he was about four feet long... but he was mostly outside the tubes. I think getting used to climbing up in clear tubes (plus, wanting to check the plastic patio stool a few times a day to see if any chickens are nesting on it yet) is making him secure enough with the upper half of the tank that he now sees no reason not to just climb right on top of the whole tube system... which actually makes me think I’ll phase more branches in, phase some of the tubing out, and then clean it up and see how, for example, my western hognose deals with it in her cage. Winkle will always have tubing, though. People who just stuff their Pits into little hard-to-see rack tubs (or even BIG hard-to-see rack tubs) don’t know what they’re missing. Not only do I THINK the snakes are having more fun our way, but I KNOW the owners are.

04/03/10  01:09am

Zerovenom
View Profile

Snake Tunnel

Thats cool.
Great idea

06/07/10  06:53pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Zerovenom   In reference to Message Id: 2154058

Snake Tunnel

An update on the tunnel: When I feed Zumbida, because she is shy about going in the feeding container, I take Lorenzo out, remove the tunnel and block the holes, put her mice in a cup under her hide, and feed Lorenzo in the feeding container. Then I put him back in the other blocked off tub so he wont go eat all her food, too. Lorenzo really likes to go through the tunnel and hang out with Zumbida so after she eats I put the tunnel back.

06/07/10  07:01pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area