Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

TheOne   Greatballzofire   TheOne   Greatballzofire   TheOne   Greatballzofire   Imderrickjed   TheOne   Foreverhungryforinfo  

Member  Message

TheOne
View Profile

Angry bull or gopher

hi all i recently 1 month ago brought a 6month old gopher - bull snake... when i first got him he was friendly and always out during the day. anyway now he has a huge temper. i handle him for about 5-10 minutes each day and everytime i pop my hand in the tank he hisses rattles and strikes causing me to draw blood. i always approach him slowly as not to shock him. hense why he always has the time to bite. am i right in continuing to pick him up? i dont want him to feel like he has got one over on me. ive been told to handle them regularly but is everyday a bit much? except after feeding which he is happy to do without question. please note this gopher bull snake is a captive bred and its has not been plucked from the wild.

02/14/10  09:52pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: TheOne   In reference to Message Id: 2123475

Angry bull or gopher

Handling every day may be a bit much. I mainly only handle mine about once a week when I transfer them to their feeding containers and back. I feed them in separate containers from their habitats so they don’t associate my hand with food when it enters the habitat.

The other thing is maybe he is too hot? They are a temperate climate species and like to be between 65 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit with a hot spot under a hide. I have heard they get crabby if they are kept too warm.

02/15/10  06:43pm

TheOne
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2123689

Angry bull or gopher

thanks for the advice. i keep him between 80-90F. as i was told.. Is it essential to keep him at a lower temperature during night? so what would be his ideal temperature during the night and day? btw im still trying to get that picture for you, im now pretty sure its a pacific gopher now ive been looking at a few more pictures. how big does a pacific gopher snake get on average? he has a large 75 gallon enclosure , is it to big?im sorry if i have a lot of questions. thank you for your time i have looked at a lot of caresheets an sometimes they tend to contridict each other which can be frustrating

02/15/10  08:17pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: TheOne   In reference to Message Id: 2123714

Angry bull or gopher

If he were a boa or python 80 to 90 degrees would be fine, as these are tropical animals. Sometimes snake care sheets treat all the species the same without regard for tropical or temperate, hence the confusion. How I keep mine: some yearlings are in 105 quart Sterilite tubs and some babies are in 10 gallon tanks. They have a temperature range from high 70’s during the day to low 60’s at night ,with a nice hot spot under their warm hide of a consistent 75 degrees. They do appreciate that hot spot for digesting their meals properly. The hot spot is directly over the UTH. I put a thermometer probe on top of the aspen bedding and under the saucer hide (the place the snake likes to be at) to make sure that spot is 75 degrees They also have a moist sphagnum moss hide container on the cool end of their tanks or tubs which they like to go to cool off in.

Think of it this way; when it gets really hot during the summer and you can’t cool down doesn’t that make you feel pretty crabby? LOL! Also, you may need to feed him larger meals if you’ve had him awhile. I have one little 09 Pacific I call Miss Hissy Spits because when I first take her out to feed her she’s all Sput! Sput! Sput! and even tried to bite me today, but after she ate a plump fuzzy she calmed right down.

Miss Hissy Spits. All my other pits are quite mellow.
If he is bent on being a Holy Terror get a snake hook and hook him out instead of letting him bite you. They don’t seem to react so unfavorably to the hook as to the hand as the hook just looks like a stick, but what must a big hand look like to a little snake!

The Pacifics get to be about five feet long, some can get as long as 7 feet. He will grow into that nice big cage. I have 2x2x4 foot cages for some of my bigger pits.

02/15/10  11:16pm

TheOne
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2123750

Angry bull or gopher

thanks mate. i will drop his temprature i guess he feels like hes been nuked..he has a 2ft long heat mat at the back of his enclosure on the wall and a small secondary one under the aspen shavings with a ceramic emiter in the hot half. i have recently made him a moist hide out of old sterile wood from my pet shop and stuffed it with damp but the hydrometer is now telling me its very humid. could this cause problems? would it be a wise idea to maybe use a plastic pot to help create a more isolated moist environment? as for feeding he has two small mice. i just bumped his food items up a size after his last shed. i do remove him from his dwelling to feed him incase he ingests the substrate. hopefully with his temperature drop he will be less of a terror otherwise when it comes to feeding i will be using and investing in a snake hook. or a tranquilliser gun. LOL! P.S that is a beautiful healthy looking snake you have. are yours wild caught?

02/16/10  05:20am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: TheOne   In reference to Message Id: 2123798

Angry bull or gopher

One of my moss hides. The moisture is contained within the container. The rest of the habitat is kept dry. Another thing I do is put the water bowl in a bed of moss in a cake pan, so if they slop the water out it stays in the cake pan instead of getting the substrate wet.

My only wc gopher, Gomez, who I rescued from a cat last April. She is a very mellow individual, never hisses or buzzes her tail at me.
Some of my other pits:

Lorenzo and Zumbida last summer (08 Pacifics). Usually there is a cardboard flat covering their moss hides, but I lifted it to get the photo.

One of the baby 09 striped Pacifics. I have 2.1 of these.

My baby bulls born last May.
So all in all I have 3.5.0 gophers, 1.1.0 bulls, and 2.2.0 pyros and one wc California king, another cat rescue. So only two wc in my little snake family. Where I live there are a lot of feral cats and it is hard to find a safe place to release the wc ones. Also i keep several cats, so my yard is not snake safe. The California king was found by one of my cats in the yard.

02/16/10  10:07am

Imderrickjed
View Profile

Message To: TheOne   In reference to Message Id: 2123475

Angry bull or gopher

Im no expert, but ive found handling them a longer time rather then many times helps. I have also let snakes bit me till they relized that Im not going away and not going to hurt them. They seem to stop, but it does hurt!

02/16/10  10:12am

TheOne
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2123837

Angry bull or gopher

well you definatly know your stuff to sustain such a health looking bunch of individuals. i will get to work on his new plastic moist hide. yet again thanks for your help and advice

02/16/10  12:07pm

Foreverhungryforinfo
View Profile

Message To: TheOne   In reference to Message Id: 2123860

Angry bull or gopher

I am far from a snake expert, heck only two weeks in with my baby gopher, and it was WC, we have a drought and thought maybe I could keep it for a day or, two, but when it turned out to be very friendly and actually enjoy moving up and down my arm I decided just to keep it. Since it is mid fall and it is WC he doesn’t really seem to be interested in my little pinkies I offer him. Oh well, lol, he will eat e,’ eventually... Right?

Here he is at day two, happy and content just to curl up next to my watch.

10/29/12  11:07pm

Back to Bull-Pine-Gopher Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area