Boas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Roloir   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Roloir
View Profile

Dumeril’s Boa not eating

You folks have helped me before and now I need some more advice. My Dumeril’s Boa is is now 15 months old and has not eaten for a month. He is drinking water and nothing in his environment has changed. He has gone from 19" to about 46" in length. He has been shedding regularly. He has now started to lose a little weight. He is his usual placid self when handled and has never made any effort to strike. He moves around the enclosure and regularly moves his hide and water container if they get in his way. He isn’t lethargic in any way, but when we put him in with a rat they both retire to their separate corners. We have tried giving him progressively smaller rats thinking that he might think the others were too large, but he just isn’t interested. We have tried to change him over to frozen rats that were thawed to normal temp and we were unable to get him to show any interest whatsoever so we went back to live rats which he was readily eating. Any suggestions? Should I have a vet check him out, or is this somehow connected to seasonal changes?

10/28/15  01:01pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2315420

Dumeril’s Boa not eating

Its getting colder where I live so my reptiles have stopped eating and mostly hiding. My dumeril female has stopped eating since September... I would just take a fresh stool sample to a vet to check for parasites and tell him/her about the weight loss to be on the safe side but snakes can go a while without food...their basically spoiled in captivity because in the wild they don’t eat as frequently as we feed them.

10/28/15  06:31pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315424

Dumeril’s Boa not eating

Thanks. You’ve helped me before and I do appreciate it. I’ll take your advice.

10/29/15  06:54pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2315433

Dumeril’s Boa not eating

Your very much welcome don’t hesitate to ask if you have any other concerns

10/29/15  07:15pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area