Boas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ronwel   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Ronwel
View Profile

Is this dumirils a good idea?

first, thanks to anyone who may be taking the time to read this, any thoughts are appreciated.
i have been looking into a "mid sized" boa for a while and have decided on a dumirils due to size, temperament, and care concerns i have pulled together. my question is about temperament. i found one through a well known reputable breeder in my area, the trouble is that he is about three years old roughly 2.5 feet long, and i have been told by an employee of the shop that this snake has bitten two people on the face.
long story short... will three years in a glass enclosure in a pet shop leave him permanently punchy, or, will being placed in a more secure enclosure in my home with regular handling calm him down? also, while talking with this employee i ended up holding this snake for at least an hour, during which time he never seemed aggressive or made any real efforts to get away.
thanks again.

10/07/13  08:02pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ronwel   In reference to Message Id: 2301579

If u take him home it would be good for him because he can live better. Petstore employees tend to be lazy when caring for their animals which is why breeders if better. Since it been through hell he may bite you a couple of times becausehes older and more harder to calm down then a baby as it grow. If that boa bit that many people in the face normally they’ll put the animal down and the petstore will be in jeopardy of losing buisness. If you have the right cage then go for it. Help the boa out :) since he’s been in a aquarium for so long handling may or may not help I can’t really give you a answer reptiles attitudes are kinda unpredictable.

07/25/14  07:07pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Ronwel   In reference to Message Id: 2301579

I’ve had a Dumeril’s Boa for over a year now. When I bought him he was 19" long and he is now nearly 4’ long. He is very laid back and has never made an effort to bite. He’s curious and will approach your hand when you reach into his enclosure and hit it with his tongue a few times. That’s it. We do handle him frequently and he is very easy to handle. He never attempts to get away from me. I am currently having a problem getting him to eat, but I’ve gotten some advice on that and I think it’s probably a non-issue now. I wouldn’t trade this guy for anything because he is super easy.

10/29/15  07:08pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2315434

Yea their really cool....I always wanted to get into the dwarf boas a little more but I’m already fully occupied lol

10/29/15  07:14pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area