Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

HubertSnake   Sandboaking   HubertSnake   Sandboaking  

Member  Message

HubertSnake
View Profile

Agrressive Rosy Boa :(

Hi everyone!
Just picked Geralt the rosy boa from reptile store last tuesday. he meant to be fed on wednesday, but shop owner told me to wait a couple of days as he might not go for it. I waited till friday, for him to settle. But all that time, when I got close to viv he was lifting up his head and striking vivs glass. And than on friday when i was trying to take Geralt out of viv to feed him (in a seperate box) he got all aggressive. He struck me couple times. After battle I managed to feed him and he ate no problem. One thing I know is that he was fed inside his viv while kept in store. Other strange thing is that hes not hiding, most of time hes out and about.
I would appriciate any input. Thank you!

04/06/13  04:36pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: HubertSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2295152

Hi, this one is really strange. I’ve never known rosies to be aggressive, but I guess there could be a few out there. First, do you know whether the snake is captive bred or wild? If it was caught recently it could be aggressive. Is it just a baby? Because babies are sometimes real nasty, but they grow out of it. As far as the feeding, I don’t believe feeding in the viv causes aggression. It might actually cause unneeded stress. A lot of my snakes don’t really like to be handled before feeding. Another possibility is maybe the snake is really hungry. Are you feeding meals about the same size as the snake? If it isn’t getting enough it could be getting hungry and sometimes they get mean.

04/06/13  10:27pm

HubertSnake
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2295182

Hey! Thanks for replay. Geralt is one year old and is captive bred. I managed to picked him on tusedy. He was bit bitey, but once on my hand he was all sweet and behaving. Today when I was watching him in a viv he was striking at me again. I think he is still bit stressed. Guy in pet shop I bought him from told me he was taken out the display viv and put aside for me when I gave ’em deposit and he was kept in small box. Viv i got him in now is right for his size but is much bigger than what he was kept in for 2 weeks.

04/11/13  08:10am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: HubertSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2295438

Do you have a nice burrowing sub in there like aspen? It’s weird the snake just strikes out at everything. I think there has to be something stressing him out. Has he been eating well? I guess as long as you can take a couple bites you can probably tame him, but that doesn’t solve the in viv aggression. Do you have lights on it or is it real tall? That might stress him out.

04/11/13  04:08pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area