Boas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Themaverick   Themaverick   Sandboaking  

Member  Message

Themaverick
View Profile

Sand boa care? question on temps....

i am not new to hobby, but new to sand boas.... i picked up a small baby kenyon sand boa last night... this is what i have/had... i currently have a 25 quart sterlite container..24x15x6.. i used to house a ball python, i have two UTH underneath, one is the smaller 6x7 zoomed that i use with a dimmer for warm and and on the cool end i have a larger exo terra 8x8 hooked up to dimmer to warm up the cool end...i have to have two uth because i live in upstate ny and the room is only room temp and the cool end would only be around 70 degrees without it.. with that said, i know this 25 quart is too big for the young sand boa, so i purchased another sterlite container, this one is 14x11x3.. much smaller.. problem is i can only fit either the one 8x8 uth or i can buy another 6x7 zoo med and use both zoomeds side by side... i dont want to use just one uth as i think it will once again not provide a temp gradient... long story short, i have just one 8x8 hooked up, half the tub is 91 degrees right under the aspen bedding and around 71 on the cool end.. is this too cold for a cool end for a sand boa? or should i purchase the other 8x8 and dim it to around 80 degrees for the cool end and just unplug it at night for him? im leaning this way, but want to make sure before i purchase another heater... once he/she is big enough, i will put him/her back in the 25 quart to live its life... ...thank you for reading...

03/01/13  01:20pm

Themaverick
View Profile

Message To: Themaverick   In reference to Message Id: 2292959

oops sorry, meant to say im currently using the 6x7 zoomed and might purchase the other 6x7 zoomed to put next to it for coolend if 71 is too cool for cold side

03/01/13  01:30pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Themaverick   In reference to Message Id: 2292960

I’m sorry to say this, but it depends on your snake. I have a girl that eats during sheds, with no sup heat and she’s just the best. But I almost lost a couple that refuse food when temps are in the 70s. Just try it out and see. I think you’ll be fine with that hot side, and I don’t think the cool side should be a problem. Maybe 75 if your snake is picky. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful and challenging world of sand boas! It’s really addicting too.

03/18/13  07:55pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area