Boas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LeoLuvr   LeoLuvr   Baltimoron   Sandboaking   LeoLuvr   Sandboaking  

Member  Message

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Weird sand boa...PLEASEHELP! (pics)

About a week ago my friend and I went to a reptile expo and I purchased my first snake, a sand boa.
(I have a wide variety of other reptiles but never had been much into snakes until seeing this cute little guy at the show)

My friend also bought a sandy that was about an half and inch smaller but both looked very healthy.
(They were both about the size of a pencil.)

Before putting them in their cages we added 1/4 inch of water to the deli cups they were in so they could hydrate for about 10 mins.

Enclosures set up, mine was set up in a 10 gallon with a heating pad under one half of the tank.

And the guy we bought them from said they were fed a week ago and were ready to eat again, so just a day after my sandy being in his new home, he ate with out a problem and it doing fantastic. Sweet personality and growing like crazy, it seems.

But my friends sandy is acting quite strange, completely submerging itself if its little water dish for about five minutes at a time and not burrowing at all... so she took out the water dish in fear it would drown or cause other problems.

After many failed attempts to get hers to eat, my friend was very worried and had me pick it up to try to nurse it back to health.

I picked her up from her place last night and she was stiff cold and didn’t move in my hand. Right when I got home I put her in the tank with my other one on the side with the heating pad and covered her with the sand chips in hopes that she would warm up quickly and spark up a bit.

After a few hours she stretched out from his tight curl and seemed to be doing better.
Seeing as how it had been a week and a half since her last meal, I tried to feed her but she didn’t look interested in the least. I tried for thirty minutes to get her to feed and she just stayed there... not interested at all.

Checking her over, I noticed her eyes seemed a bit cloudy, perhaps about to shed? So I figured I’d leave her be for the time being.

She also has a funny way of moving...nothing like my other snake at all. Very quirky and wraps around herself in an odd way.
Also, she doesn’t flick its tongue at all...

Hopefully the images load correctly so you can have a better picture as to what I’m talking about...

I really hope I can get some help because I would just feel horrible if I didn’t do something that could save its life.
Thank you.

-Jes

This is Chleo, right when I picked her up from my friends house. She stayed like that for an hour or so.

This is Corby and Chleo.
(Corby, mine, on the bottom.)
Chleo starting to move a little bit...

11/24/11  04:45pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2245224

Well she died...

11/25/11  12:33am

Baltimoron
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2245247

With boas that small sometimes they just don’t make it. I’ve tried to nurse sickly baby redtails. I feel I did everything right and they still died. It’s just the way it goes sometimes.

12/10/11  11:08pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Baltimoron   In reference to Message Id: 2246760

I know it’s just a bit late, but what I would bet was wrong was dehydration. I had a baby go through this recently, and I thought she was dead so I threw her in the trash. Next day, I noticed she moved in the can, so I misted her in the face and she moved a bit. I put her in a deli cup for a while on damp paper towels and she saemed better and after a few days she ate and everything. But I didn’t know what it was at the time either.

04/23/13  10:06pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2296187

I thought that could be it, at the time, and she was soaked and everything. She would completely submerge herself in her little dish for minutes at a time. Weirdest thing ever. I think she was just a failure to thrive.

04/30/13  02:40pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2296578

I’ve never had a sand boa that willingly soaked before. But they love their wet paper towel hides.

04/30/13  06:48pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area