Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Xkabx   ShadowAceD   Xkabx   ShadowAceD   Maggie_Mae   Xkabx   ShadowAceD   Xkabx   ShadowAceD   Xkabx   Xkabx   ShadowAceD   Xkabx   ShadowAceD   Xkabx   Xkabx   Hartmeherps   00757052   Xkabx   Xkabx  

Member  Message

Xkabx
View Profile

Shes here!!!!

it took a month of emails, everyweekend in that month i jammed with work to get ready for her. there where times i didnt even think it was gonna happen, but shes here. here she is my new (10 year old) hog island boa

06/28/11  06:21pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2226954

Shes here!!!!

It looks like she has an infection in her nose either from rubbing or an untreated RI.

06/28/11  07:49pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2226963

Shes here!!!!

looks painful dont it, she didnt have that in the pics i was sent so im hoping it isnt that far along and is goin to be easy to treat, any suggestions?

06/28/11  08:51pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2226972

Shes here!!!!

Uh ... it definitely needs to go to a vet then. Home treating won’t improve it, especially since it will be difficult to tell what is causing it. It may need to be lanced.

06/28/11  11:20pm

Maggie_Mae
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2226990

Shes here!!!!

That’s the condition she was in when she arrived to you? I would contact the seller.

07/04/11  12:48am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Maggie_Mae   In reference to Message Id: 2227512

Shes here!!!!

there is no seller to contact, she was given to me. at first she appeared to be in rough shape, but after less than 1 week in my care she looks great, she will always have that bump on her nose but it makes her special. when she arrived she had been in a box for 24+ hours and she was dehydrated, and very skinny, but since that first day i havent seen anything coming from her mouth, and have had 3 experts look at her and say no trip to the vet isnt needed, i say experts because they arent vets but 2 are reptile store owners and one is a friend who has had snakes for as long as ive known him. i even got her to eat for me on sunday she pounded back a large rat, i will have her back up to an acceptable weight in no time.

the bump looks horrible in pics because its pink but shes got pink everywhere. i think shes beautiful

07/04/11  08:32pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2227603

Shes here!!!!

No offense to your "experts", but without knowing exactly what caused that bump, you have no idea if is a permenant thing or not.

She should still go to the veterinarian. Most pet store owners are unreliable sources of information and even the most skilled reptile keeper is not equipped to diagnose a medical issue in a snake that they have no history on.

The animal may have a whole host of hidden problems (boas are incredibly well adapted to hiding health issues for prolonged periods of time), especially since it is supposed to be a ten year olrd but it is the size of a two year old at best. Ultimately, it is your decision, but it really is irresponsible not to bring it to the vet, regardless of if it ends up being a serious issue or not.

07/05/11  01:46am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2227630

Shes here!!!!

first i know they arent experts but these arent like petsmart pet stores, both stores only deal with reptiles. the guy i got her from said the bump was there the entire time he had her, confirmed by the guy i brought her to when he said it is an old rubbing injury, if i see it get any bigger obviously a vet trip is in order but after watching the guy at the "petstore" poke it and squeeze it and her have no reaction, im gonna believe that its scar tissue. as for her being the size of a two year old, how big do you think these guys get, this is a hog island boa not a red tail. yes she is skinny but two year old? comon. im gonna disregard the irresponsible comment, because you throw it out there like im saying or its only an ri shell be fine, which i am clearly not. i noticed the possibility of this and my first instinct was to get her to someone who knows more than i do. after the first trip, i came home and posted about it and got more info which prompted yet another trip to another person for even more info. im the one who brought her in and heard what was said, ive weighed all the options, she appears fine to me and more important than me to 2 people i goto for any questions ive ever had about herps.i told them my concerns and they dissmissed them reassuring me that she will be fine. irresponsible pff i think its irresponsible of you to throw that term out there before you understand the situation.

07/05/11  12:30pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2227672

Shes here!!!!

Contrary to popular belief, Hog Islands are not true Dwarf Boas. Females can and do reached 7 - 8ft in length very commonly.

But, I guess your experts told you that as well.

07/06/11  12:14am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2227748

Shes here!!!!

what pic did you see that she wasnt 7 foot? i agree she is skinny but she is over 7 foot. dont get smart man, i know the guys i spoke with arent experts but they are the most trusted and knowledgeable people in the herp community around here, sh@t the vets in my city dont even deal with snakes. im not here trying to start some cyber fight im here for advice, since you clearly have nothing useful to say im not responding to your childish comments and snide remarks. not true dwarfs ha what planet are you on that a 8 foot snake is not a dwarf of a 12 foot snake? stop wasting your time, and mine. find someone else to try and make look bad, i know whats going on here, and she will be a happy healthy dwarf boa in my care for years to come.

07/06/11  01:22pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2227808

Shes here!!!!

your comment got me heated, and after a couple hours to cool off i took a good look at her and you are right she is small shes only 6 and a half feet. as for dwarf i never said dwarf nor did my "experts" but they are smaller so i dont get why you had to throw that jab in there. people are on here for help if you think you are better or smarter or whatever dont post keep your bullsh@t to your self, got anything useful to say then go right ahead, i dont respect people that give people looking for help attitude, why even bother posting? you wanna try and look smart? well congrats mr f@cking scientist your wisdumb astounds me.

07/06/11  04:20pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2227828

Shes here!!!!

You know, I was actually not attacking you at any point, but I did make an effort to point out that you were being irresponsible in not bringing your boa to a vet when it was advised you did so. If someone does not have a degree in veterinarian medicine, then they cannot diagnose with any degree of certainty, the condition of a potentially ailing animal. The fact that you fail to see this just shows how naive you truly are. Also, the fact that you are so defensive over someone offering you the proper information shows that you are unwilling to unlearn the wrong things you have been taught.

You can sit here and try to make me look like a jerk all you want, with your modified vulgarities and whatever else, but it will all end up being irrelevant.

Just because a boa is under twelve feet does not make it a dwarf, in fact, it is rare a boa achieves that length in good health, even those of the BCC (Boa constrictor constrictor) variety. Ten feet, sure, twelve? Not so often. Those that do tend to be overfed, obese and in poor health. What you have is a BCI (Boa constrictor imperator), an insular island boa that is not considered a dwarf. Anyone who misleads you to think otherwise is doing just that, misleading you. These animals should be pretty heavily bodied with the females being particularly robust.

That aside, length is rarely means anything when it comes to these animals in term of relating to proper size. No adult female Hog Island Boa, should be that lean with that length. Especially not a ten year old. Perhaps the gender is wrong or perhaps the age is wrong or perhaps it was not fed properly, but given the lump on the snout you seem to thing is not an issue, it could likely safely be assumed the animal just had an ignorant owner.

Sometimes the old saying "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" does not really apply.

07/07/11  06:31am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2227893

Shes here!!!!

maybe in your mind you didnt feel as if you were attacking me but if you re read what you posted, and read it from my perspective you may see what i saw, someone saying they are right and what i am doing is wrong. how can you be so sure i am wrong? its really the irresponsible part that made me so mad, i am anything but irresponsible when it comes to my pets. and i understand that my reptile store guys arent vets and havent been to a veterinarian college, but you have no clue who you bash, so when i say they are knowledgable why throw in the extra jab about dwarfs, i could give a f@ck less if she is a TRUE dwarf or not and also could give a f@ck less if i was wrong about how big a red tail gets, i was wrong because i do not have one and have never really researched one because i have no plans on getting one. i have already agreed with you that she is skinny, but thats from her previous owners, i will feed her properly, in fact i got her to eat for me on sunday. im not saying that just because she ate she isnt sick, but snakes that have bad ris dont usually eat do they? im gonna keep doing what im doing niave or not, you keep doing what you are doing jerkstore or not and we will see, i bet the pics of her change as she gets bigger but sadly the pics of you will stay the same, a know it all that thinks he is above people who dont agree with him.

07/07/11  11:55am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2227915

Shes here!!!!

Continue with your assumptions, but I am female, not male.

I also did not say the only thing that could be wrong with the animal is a RI, and yes, FYI, some boas do eat while they have RIs, just like some boas continuously eat when gravid, just like some boas eat when in shed. I stated she may have a bacterial infection which is causing the growth and it may need to be lanced to drain it.

Also, your comment about pics makes little to no sense, but so does most of what you say.

Keep doing your modified little vulgarities to get your point across, but know any type of profanity is not allowed here, even if you think you are hiding the word.

You keep taking offense to what I am saying and claiming I am throwing "jabs" at you, but all I am doing is offering you the proper information where you were clearly given the improper information. I also never bashed anyone, so get over yourself kid and grow a thicker hide. I hope the animal does end up being fine, but you sitting there saying you will continue doing what you are doing even if you are being naive is just plain idiocy.

07/08/11  02:21am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2227999

Shes here!!!!

i apologize, i get all fired up and i vent. so sorry. from here on out ill let the pics of her do the talking. keep an eye out for her. again sorry.

07/08/11  12:30pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2228034

Shes here!!!!

here she is after 2 weeks with proper temps and humidity, shes doing great.

07/10/11  01:26pm

Hartmeherps
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2228374

Shes here!!!!

Hey i just ordered a pair of hoggs with the exact same thing it has been kept in a wire cage and developed scar tissue on the nose the vet will try to drain it but its solid scar tissue. Its not bad for him. He’ll be fine

11/16/11  07:32pm

View Profile

Message To: Hartmeherps   In reference to Message Id: 2244463

Shes here!!!!

Always shocks me as to why someone would want a pet and not be willing to take it to the vet. I guess its just a material object to some people. If that is a 10 year old snake, it should have been taken to the vet to be tested for parasites, RI, IBD, overall health check up to insure he is healthy to start with especially when it has a tumor like object on its face!!!

With that said, very pretty snake. Goodluck, I do hope regardless that he is healthy and doing well.

11/16/11  09:48pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: 00757052   In reference to Message Id: 2244470

Shes here!!!!

my reasons for not taking her to the vet were simple, i took her to the smartest person i know when it comes to snakes and he told me she would be fine gave me a couple pointers on how to proceed and now she is perfectly healthy. never at anytime in my care has this snakes health got worse had she appeared to be having any kind of set back i was always ready to take her to the vet but thankfully she pulled through. that tumor is scar tissue, it has absolutely 0 affect except that it makes her cute as hell and i could pick her out of a room filled with 1000 hogs.
just to be clear i was always willing to take her to the vet but it wasnt necessary, this snake is by no means "just an object" she is part of my family now and i would do anything for her.

11/16/11  10:08pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2244474

Shes here!!!!

updated pics since you did say you hoped she was doing well.

at first i was mad at the guy who gave her to me in the condition she was in without even mentioning it to me, now i dont care about him, i have her and i know that i saved her from him, shes my unintended rescue, my hognose hog island, i think shes beautiful.

11/16/11  10:37pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area