Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reptilesteph17   Xkabx   Spencer206   Designer Dragons   Fire4life   T-pain   Xkabx  

Member  Message

Reptilesteph17
View Profile

I’m getting a sand boa, what are the things i must know or need?

I’m getting a sand boa, i’ve always owned lizards so this will be my first sanke, so i need info or advise on what i need or what to expect from a sand boa

i have: 30gl tank red 100wts bulb ceramic deep dome and under tank heater calci sand.

please give me advise or tips on owning a sand boa this will be my very first snake

02/24/11  11:30am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesteph17   In reference to Message Id: 2206677

i have very little experience and have never even heard of the snake you are getting, when i got a snake i just read as much as i could, im still reading as much as i can. i now have two snakes and they are the best pets ive ever had. from what ive done and what ive read the best advice i have is to be patient, they eat when they want not when you want. and just find out the proper temps and humidity, your snake will not eat if its not comfortable, so setup your tank and mess around till everything is perfect before you get the snake home. also i had a bad experience when i got my 2nd snake he died after only 2 days, no way to tell how he died but i believe it was a combination of he hadnt eaten and i stressed him, dont underestimate stress, and it came come from simply looking at a snake. the guy who gave me the snake said he thought it might not make it(what a jerkstore) and gave me a replacement(kinda cool of him). when i got the replacement home i put bristol board on all sides of his tank and took the front piece down inch by inch until a week later it was off the tank and he was cool. i didnt even attempt handling for a week. good luck

02/24/11  11:45am

Spencer206
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2206684

I do not know a lot about sand boas but I do know to ditch the calcium sand and use aspen.

03/11/11  09:48pm

Designer Dragons
View Profile

Message To: Spencer206   In reference to Message Id: 2209173

why??????

03/13/11  01:43am

Fire4life
View Profile

Message To: Designer Dragons   In reference to Message Id: 2209352

i use aspen bedding with mine. i find it best to spread it out on a screen first, to help with the dust factor. the dust can lead to respiratory problems... i have an uth, and a uv tube light on top of the screen... tank size is ok.. i generally dust the pinkies with calcium, at feeding time... as with most reptiles, give him some time to adjust to new surroundings. make sure he has a humid hide to help with shedding. i use a tupperware bowl with a hole cut in it and fill it with wet sphagmum moss...

04/04/11  12:28am

T-pain
View Profile

Message To: Designer Dragons   In reference to Message Id: 2209352

That’s the best kind u kan get they are very calm slow moving babies eat every 5 days once a week when bigger ten gallon for boy twenty for girl they also need something to rub shedding skin off 50 humidity.90 y
thru 95 hi 70 75 low

04/01/12  09:59pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: T-pain   In reference to Message Id: 2261064

haha i just re read this post, feb 24 last year i had 2 snakes, now im up to eight!
i wonder if the original poster got that sand boa?

04/02/12  07:21pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area