Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mylabdogs   Fairy Frog Mother   Mylabdogs   Fairy Frog Mother   Mylabdogs   Fairy Frog Mother   Mylabdogs   Fairy Frog Mother   Mylabdogs   Fairy Frog Mother   T-pain  

Member  Message

Mylabdogs
View Profile

Help please. Rubber Boa skin problem

Hi, we have 2 Rubber Boas. They are wild caught as it is legal in Idaho and the only way we could get one. We have had them for about 1 month and both are feeding on pinkie mice. We just noticed that one of them has some stuff on his skin (will post pics) I must say, when we first got them, I had them in soil from where we found them for about 5 days until I got Eco Earth and Bark. I cleaned the cage before putting the sterile stuff in. There just isn’t a lot of info on Rubber Boas out there. Any ideas? ANy help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam
Trying to upload the pics it is taking forever. Note: the skin looks darker in spots with the scales kinda"lifted" a little.

08/07/10  01:32pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mylabdogs   In reference to Message Id: 2167719

Until you know what it is, make sure the substrate is dry. You may want to change to newspaper or paper towels until the source of the issue is figured out.
It sounds like it could be scale rot or a fungal infection but it could also be parasites or from too dry or too moist of an environment. A Vet check is probably in order here.

08/09/10  09:42am

Mylabdogs
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2168078

Thank you for you ideas. It seems like a fungal infection. I made an appt. with a vet (I was nervous about doing so, thinking it would be hard to find one in my area that knew about snakes) but I looked on here, and there was a recomendation for one about 40 minutes away. Will take him tomorrow. I feel better already just knowing we can hopefully help him. Thanks again.

08/09/10  05:03pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mylabdogs   In reference to Message Id: 2168181

Let us know how it goes, and what the treatment is.
There are some folks here more than ten hours out from the vet. Prevention is always best, but sometimes circumstances are such that it happens. ( Like you go on vacation for a week and they decide to soak the first day, spilling half the water out and soaking the substrate or whathaveyou)

Good luck!

08/11/10  02:19pm

Mylabdogs
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2168625

She had no idea what it was. She took some pics and was going to ask some colleagues. She told me (like you) to change the substrate to just paper and I asked if I should add some terranium moss in a hide box for them which she thought would be a good idea. She looked in his mouth and said it looked great, that he looked great except for the spots. She didn’t think it was fungal, so still no clear answers. I have a feeling that maybe it was the coconut bedding I was using even though it is supposed to be fine. I am hoping that things will turn around with the new box. She also thought maybe the soil was either too moist or too dry. I think too dry if anything because it was not super moist. I wish I could post a pic of it, but have troubles when trying to do so. Thanks for you concern. I do appreciate it. Oh, and he ate again last night too. Hmmmn

08/11/10  03:46pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mylabdogs   In reference to Message Id: 2168641

Eating is a good sign.
If you can get pictures, It might help. Im not a vet- but I can try to look it up. I like puzzles. I totally should have been a Biologist. Too bad I had so many bad math teachers! haha

Good luck!

08/12/10  02:15pm

Mylabdogs
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2168920

If you don’t mind me sending them to your regular email, you can email me at and I will send them your way. I just can’t seem to upload on here. I too think I should of been a biologist! Funny. My son has wanted to be a herpotologist since the age of 3 and he is now 9 and still adament, so we will see.
Thanks again,
Sam

08/12/10  05:57pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mylabdogs   In reference to Message Id: 2169000

I usually upload to Photobucket, then copy the IMG to here. Its lots easier.

08/13/10  11:42am

Mylabdogs
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2169140

Okay, I have a link (it is just to a facebook album I made for his skin thing) It is
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=75600&id=1392011279&l=5c86b2234c

Link

If it is some kind of skin rot, what is the treatment, and can’t the vet just treat him for that in hopes that it helps, and if it isn’t that, it won’t hurt him?? Kind of like an antibiotic when you actually have a viral infection??

08/13/10  02:34pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mylabdogs   In reference to Message Id: 2169180

They need to go to a vet.
One looks as if it has shedding issues. I personally havent seen anything like that.

08/18/10  03:39pm

T-pain
View Profile

Message To: Mylabdogs   In reference to Message Id: 2169180

Look rubber Boas are neat snakes ima fan of Kenyan but I no a lil bout rubbers the dnt need heat lamps or pads need very little moisture they do well with room temp and humidity should not be 50%

04/01/12  10:15pm

Back to Boas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area