Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Anth   Dowhat08   Anth   Bandit   Munkyboy  
 Member  Message

Anth
View Profile

Heating help?

I snake cage and its 2’ wide,2’ deep, and 42" long. I was wondering how could I put in a heat pad safely in "wooden cage" without causing any harm to my RTB.

03/27/05  02:11am

Dowhat08
View Profile

Message To: Anth   In reference to Message Id: 288070

Heating help?

one suggestion is to use reptile carpet for your substrate and put the het pad directly under the carpet on the inside. get yourself a thermostat and plug the heat pad in to the thermostat. this way, you can regulate the temperature. how are you measuring your temps. get yourself an accurite thermometer so you know exactly whats going on in that cage of yours. hope this helps...

03/28/05  04:07pm

Anth
View Profile

Message To: Dowhat08   In reference to Message Id: 289343

Heating help?

Does it matter how thick the cage carpet is?

03/28/05  08:07pm

Bandit
View Profile

Message To: Anth   In reference to Message Id: 289606

Heating help?

You can just use ordinary astroturf or the reptile carpet bought in Pet shops. Another method, is to sew the heat pad into a "pillowcase" made from astroturf. Sew it tight so the snake can’t crawl into it and you can bury this under the bedding if you use aspen or coconut husk, etc.

03/29/05  12:40am

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Anth   In reference to Message Id: 288070

Heating help?

I personally would not install any electrical heat pad inside of an enclosure, unless it was completely sealed off. A spilled water bowl or a copious amount of wet urine could easily cause a disaster. BZZZZ!

A better option for a wood enclosure would be a caged in lamp with a ceramic heat emmitter controlled by a thermostat.

03/29/05  01:14am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area