Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Buttsavage   Bandit   Buttsavage   Skaterboy   Bob_barker   Munkyboy   Munkyboy   Bandit   Bob_barker   Bandit  
 Member  Message

Buttsavage
View Profile

Columbian redtails

Is the columbian red tail any more or less agressive than any other red tail? Why are they so cheap? Thanks

03/19/05  09:34pm

Bandit
View Profile

Message To: Buttsavage   In reference to Message Id: 280190

Columbian redtails

The Columbian "Red Tail" Boa is actually a misnomer--they are not true Red tails. Their scientific name is Boa constrictor constrictor while the true Red Tail is Boa constrictor imperator. But that aside, they both are virtually identical in their needs and disposition and are no more or less aggresive than the other.

Why so cheap? These snakes are relatively easy to breed and the price has dropped significantly in the last 10 years due to the influx into the market of young snakes bred by large breeders and those bred by people like us -- dedicated herpers.

03/20/05  01:39am

Buttsavage
View Profile

Message To: Bandit   In reference to Message Id: 280368

Columbian redtails

O.k. thanks

03/20/05  10:52am

Skaterboy
View Profile

Message To: Buttsavage   In reference to Message Id: 280538

Columbian redtails

Hi guys im just wondering how big do common boas get, cause i really want one!!!!

03/20/05  11:35am

Bob_barker
View Profile

Columbian redtails

actually bandit it is the other way around the colombian red tail is the BCI while the True red tail is BCC

03/20/05  12:50pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Columbian redtails

To further clarify... The term ’Red Tail Boa" is a blanket pet industry term used to describe Boa Constrictor Imperator ("Common Boa Constrictor"), and Boa Constrictor Constrictor("True Red Tail Boa Constrictor"). Actually, the (BCC) tend to be a bit more defensive/aggressive, than the Common Boa Constrictors, especially when young.

03/20/05  09:16pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 281134

Columbian redtails

Oh!, and the Colombians are usually Boa Constrictor Imperator. It all depends on which side of the Andes mountain range in which they originated. West of the Andes(BCI). East of the Andes (BCC).

The common Colombian (BCI) are so cheap, because they are widely available captive bred snakes. The (BCC) are usually 4 or more times more expensive, as they are more difficult to breed, and are less common.

03/20/05  09:23pm

Bandit
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 281148

Columbian redtails

Ok Bob, you’re right I did do a switch there -- should have read my post before I posted it. Oh well, thanks for the catch.

03/26/05  01:35am

Bob_barker
View Profile

Message To: Bandit   In reference to Message Id: 287067

Columbian redtails

I knew you knew what you where talking about because I have read some of your other posts but I just wanted to come across as a Highly intelligent superior being.....did it work?

03/26/05  04:21pm

Bandit
View Profile

Message To: Bob_barker   In reference to Message Id: 287522

Columbian redtails

Oh Lord of the Superior and Great Brain, I bow down to the sheer overwhelming glory of your intelligence. LOL. Sure, I’ll accept that. lol

03/26/05  10:54pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area