Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Rob13   Munkyboy   Rob13   Munkyboy   Jeffblair   Rob13   Munkyboy   Rob13   Smalltownfreak   Rob13  
 Member  Message

Rob13
View Profile

Which is less aggressive?

I’m thinking about purchasing a new snake, and i just had a couple of questions. Which is less aggressive a Rainbow, Rosy, or Red Tailed Boa? I’m quite fond of Boas, especially red tailed, but of those three which will become the biggest. I know that every snake is an individual but if you own all three of these breeds, tell me some stuff you think i should know. Last question, i have a friend who has a Ball python, if i where to bring my boa over to his house and the Python and The Boa where to interact, would it be disastrous?
Thanks,
Rob

03/17/05  08:33am

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Rob13   In reference to Message Id: 277411

I only own 2 of the above mentioned species, but I can offer some advice and experiences.

My Colombian BCI, and my Mexican Rosy are both real sweethearts. On the other hand, my Guyana BCC is very defensive/aggressive. Like You said, they are all individuals, and aggressiveness will vary somewhat amongst the individual snakes. With some exceptions, BCI’s, and Rosy’s have a good reputation for being very docile. The BCC tend to be a little more aggressive.

Out of the three, the Red Tail Boa gets the largest by far. Most Red Tails will grow to at least 6-8 feet long, and possibly 10-12 feet long depending on sex (females get the largest), subspecies(BCC tend to be longer than most BCI with the exception of Colombian BCI), and original locale( Peruvian BCC the largest, frequently reaches 10-12+ feet in length). Some insular island BCI, as well as most Central American BCI, rarely exceed 6-7 feet in length. The Rainbow’s usually top out at 5-7 feet, and the Rosy’s usually top out at 2.5-4 feet.

As far as letting Your snake interact with a friends Ball Python, I wouldn’t for many reasons. You never know how they would react to one another in terms of aggressiveness. You guys could spread illnesses, bacteria, viruses, or parasites with each others snakes as well.

Sorry, that turned into a book, but I hope it helped to answer Your questions a bit.

03/17/05  12:36pm

Rob13
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 277580

what is a BCC, haha sorry i dont know all the slang

03/17/05  06:43pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Rob13   In reference to Message Id: 277998

Sorry! (BCC) Boa Constrictor Constrictor sub species
(BCI) Boa Constrictor Imperitor sub species

03/17/05  08:04pm

Jeffblair
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 278113

i have a redtail and rainbow their r both verytame but if i was u i would go witha redtail their r awesome

03/17/05  08:34pm

Rob13
View Profile

Message To: Jeffblair   In reference to Message Id: 278168

Thank you very much Munky, and for Jeffblair, I HEAR YA! I’ve been wanting a red tailed boa since i was like 7 years old, I’m 16 now and every time i see a snake my spark of interest is yet ignited again. I would probably have to go with a male (size!) and it will probably be a BCI, because of the info that Munky has bestowed upon me, i don’t want to come home after a beating at football or wrestling and want to hang out with my snake and it bite my face or something. Give me some hints on where to purchase and what not? And on feeding, i like to watch the snake kill the rat and then eat it but Ive also read that the rat/mouse will fight back (i would!) causing small scratches, infections, and mouth rot! OUCH! so give me hints! teach me your ways sen say!

03/17/05  08:59pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Rob13   In reference to Message Id: 278203

The best place for You to purchase a Boa would probably be from a local breeder. Check with your local herpetological society. This is a very good time of year to be looking. Many breeders have had recent clutches, and others have females that are ready to pop! The prices this time of year seem to be better when so many animals are on the market or are expected.

I’m no fan of feeding live prey. I did before I knew any better, but, learned the hard way. (injured snake). I didn’t know at the time that they would even eat dead prey. Trust me when I tell You that feeding frozen thawed or pre killed prey, can actually be "cooler" than feeding live. I jump every time a snake snatches a Rat that I’m dangling in front of it with long forceps.

03/18/05  10:17pm

Rob13
View Profile

Message To: Munkyboy   In reference to Message Id: 279391

Yeah i went to an old local petshop today which has a very wide reptile selection and a smart staff. I sat and held the RTB for like 45 before they said they had to put it up, it was like 6 weeks old and i was about to buy it, but... i didnt have the money today so.. all the snakes they had breeded where about to give birth. The RTB were like 109.99$ is that a good price?

03/19/05  01:40am

Smalltownfreak
View Profile

Message To: Rob13   In reference to Message Id: 279502

The price isn’t bad for a pet store, but a breeder should sell you one closer to $50. Check to see if you have any reptile shows in your area, they usually have a few for a good price.

03/19/05  03:59am

Rob13
View Profile

Message To: Smalltownfreak   In reference to Message Id: 279539

who are some good red tail breeders?

03/20/05  06:48pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area