Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Sharr   Bandit   JMFinance   Munkyboy   Sharr  
 Member  Message

Sharr
View Profile

WHO CAN TELL ME?

Hi, I just got a new RTB last week. He’s beautiful, and appears to be real healthy. The only thing that bothers me is that he has a tiny bit of excess shed at the end of his tail, and on his head. Does anyone know what I can do about that?

02/21/05  03:19pm

Bandit
View Profile

Message To: Sharr   In reference to Message Id: 254562

WHO CAN TELL ME?

Hey Sharr! You can give it a warm soaking for a little while (baby bath warm) and then the skin should easily come off if you wipe it with a finger. You don’t need to put the snakes head under the water, just use a Q-tip or moist cloth to keep putting moisture on the head patch. Or, you can increase the moisture of the cage up to about 85% (just before water droplets form on the glass) and let nature take its course, or, you can make it a "moist" hide by filling a plastic ice cream or yogurt container half full with moist (not soaking) sphagnum moss (or larger containers depending on the size of your snake). With a larger Boa, a plastic shoe box or sweater box from Walmart would work. Cut a hole about twice the size of the snake’s belly width and place it on the warm side of the tank to one side of the heat source. The snake will crawl in and the leftover shed is usually gone in a day or so.

I leave the "moist" hide right in the vivarium for the period leading up to and right through the shed. Actually, one of my corns practically lives in hers and I leave it there all the time. In the wild, corn snakes and milks are often found in very moist areas and this wont hurt them. I use the "moist" hide with all my snakes and have never had a problem with shedding (well, maybe once, about 15 years ago LOL).

02/21/05  07:21pm

JMFinance
View Profile

Message To: Bandit   In reference to Message Id: 254927

WHO CAN TELL ME?

We had the same problem with our RTB when we first got him. We began to bathe him in a warm bath weekly and we increased the humidity in his cage. We increased the size of his water dish to allow him to soak, and it turns out he enjoys submersing himself completely in his water dish. Increasing humidity is definitely the answer.

02/21/05  08:12pm

Munkyboy
View Profile

Message To: Sharr   In reference to Message Id: 254562

WHO CAN TELL ME?

A soak would help as mentioned. The next time your Boa goes into shed mode (dulling colors, blueish milky looking eyes), bump your humidity levels to 80% until it sheds. Keep your humidity at 60- 65% during normal times. Just don’t let it fall under 55%. If you can do these things consistently, you should have clean one piece sheds in the future. I hope that helps.

02/22/05  01:30am

Sharr
View Profile

Message To: Bandit   In reference to Message Id: 254927

WHO CAN TELL ME?

Thanks u guys, the water helped. the shed came off after a few minutes.
He was a little reluctant to stay in the water though.

02/22/05  03:56am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area